Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Leopardfist
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:49 pm   

Help writing to a DB using Trigger

I am trying something that seems simple, but it will not work. First I will show the output that I get when I want my trigger to fire, which it does fire. I just cannot get the variable thing to work.

MUD OUTPUT I NEED FOR TRIGGER:
This ranks you as Davin of Shienar (Level 3).
Your base abilities are: Str:16 Int:15 Wil:12 Dex:18 Con:13.

My Class I started to practice:
Code:

#CLASS {StatTracker}
#ALIAS Showstats {#ECHO &Name -- with stats Str:&STR, Int:&Int, Wil:&Wil, Dex:&Dex, Con:&Con}
#VAR Name {}
#VAR Str {}
#VAR Int {}
#VAR Wil {}
#VAR Dex {}
#VAR Con {}
#TRIGGER {This ranks you as * of *} {#VAR Name %1}
#TRIGGER {Your base abilities are: Str:&Str Int:&Int Wil:&Wil Dex:&Dex Con:&Con *} {}
#CLASS 0

Now I get the trigger to fire, but when I do "Showstats" to test wether the Name was captured into the variable it doesnt show the name. Also as you can see I have tried several different ways of getting the variables, which I learned from the examples in the documentation for triggers.

Also, the entire reason I am starting this is the MUD I play you have to level to 3 to see the stats you got, and if you dont like them to then restat and start again at 1. I want to make a Class that will store the stats in a database everytime I restat, storing the old stats. And I want to be able to use a command like Stattrackerlist to show all the stats I went thru for the character, how many times I had to restat, and also show the stat totals like Strength + Intelligence + Willpower + Dexterity + Constitution.

So if anyone knows what they are doing, and can make this in a simple way for me, that would not be a terrible thing hehe. I do not mind learning, it just seems like I am having a problem with the learning part lol.

OH and one more thing, I saw a page last week that was Fun with Triggers, which many more examples than the documentation, however I cannot find the link anymore, anyone know where it is?

Thanks for any advice or assistance :)!

BTW The game is Wheel of Time MUD :).

Last edited by Leopardfist on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:12 pm   

you need to use @varname when referancing variables, &varname only works for in pattern variable defining
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:28 pm   

Awesome! THANK YOU! It workes perfect now hehe. Now I have to learn database to store the dang things :).
Leopardfist
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:22 pm   

OK, now I have another problem. I got my script to record the name, and the stats in the variables and to echo them. I have another variable that is the total of all 5 stats. I got all of that working, and then I went to work trying to use a Database to record said values, and well I cant seem to get the values to record using the #NEW for new record command.

I have my database made, it is very basic with only 7 fields which are below.

Name Total Str Int Wil Dex Con

My Script follows:
Code:

#CLASS {StatTracker}
#ALIAS Showstats {#ECHO @Name -- with stats Str:@Str, Int:@Int, Wil:@Wil, Dex:@Dex, Con:@Con Total:@Tot}
#VAR Name {}
#VAR Str {}
#VAR Int {}
#VAR Wil {}
#VAR Dex {}
#VAR Con {}
#VAR Tot {}
#TRIGGER {This ranks you as &Name of *} {}
#TRIGGER {Your base abilities are: Str:(%d) Int:(%d) Wil:(%d) Dex:(%d) Con:(%d).} {
  #VAR Str %1
  #VAR Int %2
  #VAR Wil %3
  #VAR Dex %4
  #VAR Con %5
  #MATH Tot %1+%2+%3+%4+%5
  }
#TRIGGER {You feel dizzy as time seems to spin backwards...} {#New St Name %Name Str %1 Int %2 Wil %3 Dex %4 Con %5 Total %Tot}
#CLASS 0

That was my last try.... I also tried it with the {#New St {Name=%Name|Str=%Str| Etc etc etc.

Couldnt get it to work in any of the ways shown on the #New directions of the documentation.

Thanks for the continued help.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:22 pm   

If you want @name to update, you need to use () around the wildcard pattern you want assigned to %1.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:35 pm   

I'm not sure I follow, I have the name variable working, it's the trigger to write the data to the database that isn't working. It triggers fine, I tested the trigger part, but my commands to add the new record to the database is not working.

This Line:
Code:

#TRIGGER {You feel dizzy as time seems to spin backwards...} {#New St Name %Name Str %1 Int %2 Wil %3 Dex %4 Con %5 Total %Tot}
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:51 pm   

Looking at the helpfile
#NEW st Name=%name Str=%1 etc=etc

is better syntax... but really, CMUD handles dbvariables much better than zMUD
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:02 am   

OK, Tried that still not working hehe. Have tried the following lines all did not work.

Code:

#TRIGGER {You feel dizzy as time seems to spin backwards...} {#New St {Name=%Name|Str=%Str|Int=%Int|Wil=%Wil|Dex=%Dex|Con=%Con|Total=%Tot}}

shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:36 am   

have you got your database #DBLOAD ed? I believe that is required.

and %str is likely not going to return anything, it may well be taken for a literal string, also %name (like %str) is not an internal function... %char should be what holds your character's name
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: