Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
rloii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:15 am   

Expanding parameters inside a #MESSAGE function

I had the following alias in zMud. I've not been able to make it work in cMud.

#ALA +30:00 {#MESS 500 "%1 should have reset"}

The name of the alias is "settimer". Therefore, in zMud, I would type "settimer ghoul". Exactly thirty minutes later, I would get a pop-up message that would say "ghoul should have reset".

In cMud, the message window displays "%1 should have reset".
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:20 am   

Working exactly as intended (this is why it's a great idea to get familiar with the helpfile). In ZMud, variables like %1 were expanded and the values inserted into the executeable code BEFORE the code was sent to the parser. This meant that the parser had absolutely NO idea what was part of %1--and more importantly, was unable to tell when one command/function parameter stopped and the next one started. To get around this limitation, it was made so that double-quotes would group all the contents of %1 as one parameter. In CMud, this particular meaning was removed and now double-quotes means to avoid parsing entirely (vis a vis, %1 stays as %1).

EDIT: since you probably used this to your advantage in Zmud practically all over the place in your scripts, check out the Compatibility Report (in the package editor, under the File menu). All this does is evaluate every last trigger, button, alias, and other executable piece of script looking for simple things like "%1". Each incident will have it's own message (so if you had 1000 triggers, you should probably expect a list 1000 elements long) along with a short description of the problem and a solution. You'll have to fix them by hand, but clicking on the message should zap you to the correct setting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: