Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
HollyC
Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:50 am   

3.34 upgrade catastrophe

I just upgraded from 3.30 to 3.34. To say the results were catastrophic is putting it mildly.

All of my various "Sessions" saved in 3.30 are gone. Completely GONE. These sessions had every script I've written for CMUD. I've performed exhaustive searches on every folder and file name I remembered and they've vanished, not just from my cMUD client but from my hard drive altogether. And I don't care how many times you tell me that cMUD itself is "unable to do that..." Those files were THERE just a few days ago, I was reviewing some session text logs and they were there. Now they're not.

Every bit of work, every thing I saved was there on my hard drive in 3.30, and now I can't find a stitch of it anywhere.

Now what?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:02 pm   

you probably already looked but is there anything special in C:\Documents and Settings\<computer users name/word here>\My Documents\My Games\CMUD ?

and maybe a full search of a *.pkg might point to where the files are?

recycle bin?
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:09 pm   

The only possibility that I can think of is that you set it to use a different location for your local files. I know that you don't want to hear that Cmud is "unable to do that", but it's true that Cmud installation does not delete any files. It may overwrite files with newer versions, but it does not delete any. So they must be there somewhere. As Mixsel suggested, you should be able to find them with a search for .pkg files.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:30 pm   

The ONLY way that your files would have been deleted is if you used some program to uninstall CMUD instead of just upgrading CMUD. For instance, Revo Uninstaller has the option to delete all associated folders with CMUD. Other programs may do so without even asking. If you used an uninstaller, then it's the fault of the program, not CMUD.

I've upgraded, uninstalled (using the regular uninstaller), and re-installed CMUD several times over the years. I have never had an incident where my files just "vanished." Hopefully you'll find your files, but as Rahab stated, it's not CMUD that deleted your files.
HollyC
Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:09 am   

I know it's not supposed to be possible, I understand computers well enough to believe that. But I can't deny what was right in front of my eyes and the "No matches found" on all the searches I did.

Luckily, I found backups on a flash drive and put them on my hard drive. But now I have a new problem.

When I upgraded to 3.34, I used the cMUD client itself, and it would download the upgrade and simply stop. It wouldn't install. So I managed to save the 3.34 setup file to my hard drive and installed it over my existing version. When it asked me where my sessions files would be saved, I DIDN'T want it to be in a subfolder of My Documents... almost every program tries to FORCE you to put things there and it gets to be a pretty complicated and tangled mess of files. So, because the option to put it in the same location as the program files was grayed out, I selected "other location" and navigated to... the same folder where the program files were stored.

Bad idea, right? Yeah I found that out when I got an entire boatload of popups going ACCESS DENIED: Program Files(x86)/CMUD is Read-only.

But trying to reinstall cMUD over the existing copy, saying okay, put the damned session files in My Documents/My Games, didn't fix the problem. I still get dozens of popups one on top of the other on top of the other, ACCESS DENIED: Program Files(x86)/CMUD is Read-only. When I finally got so many popups that my computer absolutely FORCED a total system reboot, I knew that whatever I was doing, I had to stop doing it.

Do I need to uninstall cMUD completely and then reinstall it clean? And if I have to do that, should I make a backup copy of the session files, so I don't have to move them from my flash drive a second time? I went ahead and put them in My Documents/My Games. I didn't want to do that, but if cMUD's going to throw tantrums over it, then it's the lesser of two evils.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:52 am   

Yeah, you might need to uninstall. It would be a good idea to make a backup copy of the session files if you can. It's not Cmud throwing tantrums, it is Windows. The newer Windows operating systems are designed to keep the Program Files read only, for security reasons. This is why so many programs put user files in My Documents. This is the way Windows wants it done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: