Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
vortis
Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:51 pm   

CMUD AutoMapper and Sailing

I use the automapper for making maps as I wander around, but I want to map out the ocean as well while in my boat. While in the boat, I don't use north/east/west/south directly. I use 'sail <direction>' and I can't get the automapper to recognize that I 'sail south' to go create a new room to the south and make it my current location. I assume you need more information to help me, but hopefully this gives you an idea of what I am after.

To give you an idea of what I see:

Norden Sea - Eastern Ocean

<Room Description>

<Weather Description>

Obvious exits : north, south, west and east.

Now I want to sail south:
> sail south
You sail in shallow waters toward the south.

Sea - Eastern Ocean

<Room Description>

<Weather Description>

Obvious exits : north, west and east.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:11 am   

To do this, you need to make your own directions and edit them. Make a copy of the English Directions package, rename it to My Directions (or something else appropriate). Change your session so that it does not load English Directions and does load My Directions.

Open the My Directions package in the Package Editor. Set it to view all, so that you can see the directions (they should show up with a compass diagram symbol). Edit each direction, e.g. edit the "north" direction so that "sail north" and "sail n" are in the list of directions that it recognizes.

You will probably want to make a trigger for "You sail in * toward the " which execute [edit to correct the command]#NOMAP[/edit]. This will keep that line from being considered part of the room name or description.

The reason you want to make your own copy of the English Directions package is that every time you load a new version of Cmud, it will replace the English Directions package with the default version. So to customize it, you need your own copy.

Last edited by Rahab on Sat May 26, 2012 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mixsel
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:54 pm   

Greetings,

We haven't had a new Sticky in a while, this one can help with quite a few scenarios; let's sticky it!
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:03 pm   

Sorry, I just realized I made a mistake. Instead of #NODIR, I meant #NOMAP. #NODIR will tell the mapper that the movement failed. #NOMAP will tell the mapper to ignore the line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: