Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
robm06

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:22 am   

Can IRE XML maps be converted to CMUD?

Hi guys,

I just recently started playing MUDs again and I was wondering if there was a way to pull the XML map from the IRE websites (http://www.imperian.com/maps/map.xml ) into the mapper somehow so I could have an up to date map without having to manually walk through all the rooms? I did a search and didn't see anything but I didn't see any harm in asking. I know mudlet downloads and parses the information into it's client now so I was hoping CMUD did the same.

Thanks
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:00 am   

You would have to write a script, which involves external tinkering with the mapdb since not everything in there is exposed via the mapping commands/functions (not even with the extended zmapper com object). Such external tinkering is a VERY bad idea since there's no safety checks and you're bypassing all the synchronization code that keeps the map up-to-date in memory.

That said, the parsing part would be rather simple and straightforward. You could read each line in one at a time via %read(), and then check via %match() to figure out which line it was and what to do with it. I notice that the environments definitions are AFTER the use in the room tags, so you will need to delay insertion until after those are read in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: