Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:30 pm   

Capture making bright colors dim (bug?)

This one has been annoying me for a while, but I can't find a way to reproduce it. I have a trigger that captures a line from the MUD, which is in a bright color, to another window, and from time to time it will appear in the capture window as the corresponding dim color. It doesn't matter what color it was, it will dim them all. At first I thought it was completely random, but after playing with echoes last night I found that the captures are either all bright or all dim for some time, but I can't figure out what causes the switch. It doesn't seem to be related to other things going into that window, because the switch has happened on two of these lines in a row, with nothing else in between. I know it's not much to go on, but seeing as I can't reproduce it...

Another problem I have, that may be related, is that another capture window will occasionally lose all color, everything appearing in the default grey. This one is capturing a block of text using #C+ and #C-. It has no color for a short time, then it will suddenly start again. I have no idea what causes this one either.

The relevant triggers:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
<cmud>
  <trigger priority="6910" copy="yes">
    <pattern>^INFO: (%w) submits another %d brain samples for research in the name of Science.$</pattern>
    <value>#IF (%1 != "Myrkul") {#CAP comm}</value>
  </trigger>
  <trigger priority="6080" copy="yes">
    <pattern>^~<MAPSTART~>$</pattern>
    <value>#GAG
#GAGON
#CLR MAP
#C+ MAP</value>
  </trigger>
  <trigger priority="6050" copy="yes">
    <pattern>^~<MAPEND~>$</pattern>
    <value>#C-
#EXECWIN MAP {#GAG}
#GAGOFF</value>
  </trigger>
</cmud>

Any ideas at all would be appreciated!
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:03 pm   

The problem is part of how CMud handles ansi/color interpretation, and most likely the color issues are part of a larger issue dealing with problems in formatted lines in general (hyperlinks, font properties, bold/italic, etc). Somewhere along the way, something is causing the alignment of various formatting features to fall off-track such that they no longer apply to whatever they were written to apply to. This is independant of whatever code you're using to formulate your display, so unless you see/are shown a typo or logic error there's probably nothing wrong with your code. What you're seeing stems from this, and can include:

1)changing of the dim/bright ansi bit (in either direction, dim-to-bright or bright-to-dim)
2)changing of the color ansi bits (green becomes anything not green)
3)blinking
4)bold
5)italic
6)underline (this also appears to impact hyperlink settings, such that a send link will show underlined even if that window's link settings are set to no underline)
7)loss of all formatting
8)loss of hyperlinking

Basically, the only work around is to first clear the screen and then start the printing of the display.
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:14 pm   

I have had some lines reverse the foreground/background colors as well.
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:42 am   

I had a similar problem once, clearing windows helped, eventually I think exporting and importing helped as well as re-writing some of my triggers.

Additional the #debugfile command might be useful in tracking down what is causing the problem. The #debug file saves the actual information exchanged between cmud, the screens and your mud server. If you note when the problem occurs you can backtrack previous lines and you might be able to say ok line 4 5 and 9 are what it takes to cause this problem, Zugg might then be able to trace the problem and fix it/
"To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories: (1) things that need to be fixed, and (2) things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them" - Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: