Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:40 pm   

#ADDKEY question

What is the proper syntax for indirectly assigning a value to a db variable?

Code:
$curValue=@spikeRates.$item.$spike.Failure
$newVal=($curValue+1)
#ADDKEY spikeRates.$item.$spike {Failure=$newVal}
#FORALL %dbkeys( @spikeRates.$item) {#SHOWDB spikeRates.$item.%i}

I have tried using a normal variable for $item and $spike as well, no no avail.
I'm probably so tired I'm just overlooking the obvious.
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:06 pm   

Huh?

#ADDKEY varName Key Value

#ADDKEY myDB %concat($item.$spike, ".Failure") $newVal

Maybe that? I'm sort of confused of the specifics of what you're trying to do here. I tend to avoid using a DB var directly as the key when possible, preferring to grab that specific value in a local variable and using that as the key. If only because it's a bit easier on the eyes.
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:22 pm   

I am trying to record the success rates of a given skill, by both the item worked and quality of materials used.

And i am trying to reference by local variables, that is exactly what I am asking for help with.
Your example doesn't seem to work any better than mine did.
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:45 pm   

Have to use %db(%db(spikeRates, $item), $spike) to reference them as such. At least, that's how I've done it in the past.
Anaristos
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:05 am   

Tests show that your scheme should work. The only thing that could be making it fail is the contents of $item and/or $spike.

I am assuming, of course, that what you have a is a db record cascade. (a db record for which each value assigned to a key is also a db record, recursively).
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:34 pm   

Yes, i have the name of the db, more or less just a string list of each items ever worked.
Under that are the various quality materials.
Each of which has a success/failure count.

No key at any level is presumed to be preexisting.

Referencing the item is not the issue (i dont see how %db does more than this), that aspect seems to work when i had used #SAY to error test my variables
But it doesn't seem to like to make new keys on the fly at that deep a level.
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:24 pm   

In an effort to try and force the depth of creation i have done the following... with some odd results.

Code:
spikeRates=""
#IF (%null( @spikeRates.$item)) {
  #ADDITEM spikeRates $item
  #FORALL $quality {
    $this=%i
    #ADDITEM spikeRates.$item $this
    #FORALL "Success|Failure" {
      $that=%j
      #ADDKEY spikeRates.$item.$this {$that=0}
      }
    }
  }
$curValue=@{spikeRates.$item.$spike.Failure}
$newVal=($curValue+1)
#SHOWDB @spikeRates
#EXIT

Which then showed me this:

spaces added for screen width wrote:
1: character
character: iron|steel|silver
12289: |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||"Success=0|Failure=0|Success=0|Failure=0|Success=0|Failure=0"
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:04 pm   

There are some situations where @var.field using indirection reverts to concatenation. You will ABSOLUTELY, with no workaround, have to use %db() instead of dot-notation. It's a side-effect brought in when JSON functionality was enabled, allowing us to go more than one level deep.
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:48 pm   

Then show me how to use %db to set a value, the help file says it only retrieves.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:51 pm   

You don't. Use %db to retrieve the value to a local variable, then make the required changes to that local variable, then use #ADDKEY to replace the existing data in your variable with the local one you just made the changes to.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:03 pm   

I could really use an example here, in case you can't tell.
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:44 am   

Code:
#ADDKEY %db(spikeRates, $item) $spike {Failure=$newval}

That should do what you need it to do.

Of course, if you're willing, you can convert it all to Lua, which would make it a lot easier.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:10 am   

Well seems there is still an issue..

Code:
#ADDKEY spikeRates {$item="iron|steel|silver"}
#ADDKEY %db( spikeRates, $item) $spike {Failure=0}
#ADDKEY %db( spikeRates, $item) $spike {Success=0}

With this i am able to get it made at the level I want... however it only seems to retain the Success value, Failure is lost somewhere

Well I'm not against learning a new language, i have heard so much about lua.
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:56 am   

Not sure why it's not working for you on that. Hmm.

As for Lua, I've converted many of my scripts (including databases) over to using Lua variables. It would ultimately depend on what you're doing with your script and how you're getting information, but for the #ADDKEY stuff above, it'd look something like:
Code:
for _,v in pairs(spikeRates) do
v={Failure=0, Success=0}
end

Then for the newval part, you could do:
Code:

newval = spikeRates["steel"]["Failure"]+1

Lastly, if you wanted to print the spikeRates database, you could do:
Code:
for i,v in pairs(spikeRates) do print(i .. ": " .. v) end

There's a lot to learn about Lua, but it's relatively simple. If you want to get started, you can read through Lua Users Wiki.

Hope this helps you out some. If you want some more help on converting anything over, just let me know and I'll do what I can. By the way, if you want to save those variables for a long run, google table.save lua, save the file in CMUD's Lua directory as tsave.lua, then create an onLoad event in CMUD that does:
Code:
#LUA {require("tsave")}

Then to save a table, you just have to execute the command (in Lua): table.save(tablename, "filename you want to save it as") (example: table.save(spikeRates,"spikeRates.tbl")

To recall that table, in the onLoad event, add
Code:
#LUA {spikeRates=table.load("spikeRates.tbl")}

It's very useful, and I'm glad Lua is included with CMUD. Just keep in mind that Lua IS case-sensitive. spikeRates is completely different from Spikerates and other variants.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:49 pm   

You have to do it all at once. #ADDKEY is a replacement function, rather than an appending one.

#ADDKEY variable key value
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:05 pm   

MattLofton wrote:
You have to do it all at once. #ADDKEY is a replacement function, rather than an appending one.

#ADDKEY variable key value

If you can show me an example using my local variables that actually makes the table down to the 4th level, like I have tried to explain/outline in this thread... great, THAT is what I am asking for help with.
Quoting the help file syntax doesn't help. I have read it countless times over.
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:55 pm   

Looking at your last example:
Code:

#ADDKEY %db( spikeRates, $item) $spike {Failure=0}
#ADDKEY %db( spikeRates, $item) $spike {Success=0}

The problem here is that #ADDKEY will completely replace the value of the key. So the value of the $spike key is being replace with {Failure=0}, and then replaced by {Success=0}.

Instead, you can do this:
Code:

#ADDKEY %db( spikeRates, $item) $spike {Failure=0|Success=0}

If you need to change the Failure or Success value separately, you can do something like:
Code:

$spikevalue = @spikeRates.$item.$spike
#ADDKEY $spikevalue Failure 1
#ADDKEY %db(spikeRates, $item) $spike $spikevalue

I haven't tried this, but you might be able to do something like:
Code:

$spikevalue = @spikeRates.$item.$spike
#ADDKEY %db(%db(spikeRates, $item), $spike) Failure 1
DraxDrax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:02 pm   

Code:
$item = "widget"
$spike = "steel"
#ADDKEY spikeRates.${item} {iron|steel|silver} ""
#ADDKEY spikeRates.${item}.${spike} Failure 0
#ADDKEY spikeRates.${item}.${spike} Success 0

Try that. The code works. I'm just not certain I've understood your intentions from the examples given above. To better illustrate what it's doing, the following four lines would set up the exact same table of values for spikeRates, using constants rather than variables in the declarations:

spikeRates.widget.steel.Failure = 0
spikeRates.widget.steel.Success = 0
spikeRates.widget.iron = ""
spikeRates.widget.silver = ""

edit: I reviewed your first post, rather than your last post, which I probably should have done to begin with...
I believe this is more or less what you were after in the first place. Running this code will increment the value of spikeRates.widget.steel.Failure using temporary variables, by 1 each time it's executed and shows the update.
Code:
$item = "widget"
$spike = "steel"
$value = %db(%db(%db(@spikerates, $item), $spike), Failure)
$value = $value+1
#ADDKEY spikeRates.${item}.${spike} Failure $value
#SHOWDB @spikeRates.widget
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:43 pm   

That last bit is working for me.
Thank you kindly.

Dunno why i didn't think to use ${var} i use @{var} a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: