Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:39 pm   

Two CMUDs, working off of one set of files?

I have two computers at the moment, a Desktop, my "main" computer, and my Laptop, my "satellite" computer. As much as possible I'm trying to sync my laptop up with my desktop so that when I work on stuff on the laptop it's already reflected on the desktop without having to move around files and what not. Of course, with most programs, I need separate installations, which is great, it offers its own advantages to be distinct in that arena. However, since CMUD reads it packages from a specific set of files and folders that aren't in program files, I figured I might be able to share this between the two systems, my question is whether or not this will cause any issues? Generally speaking I probably won't be running multiple instances of CMUD across both computers, as my MUD doesn't allow for multi-play, though, because it's the one area I can think of a major problem in, I'm curious if it will, in fact, create issues there, or if multiple instances can run across computers just as they could on one computer.

My other question is in regards to the fact that the Laptop is on the wireless network, would hiccups in the network stop things like triggers from working, or do those load into memory such that the network connection is only needed in order to record and save new triggers and such (as well as connecting to the MUD itself!)

Thanks.

I also have to figure out how to redirect one of the CMUDs, since I've only ever been able to point it in the installation before.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:12 pm   

I use dropbox to keep my settings in sync across all my computers, haven't had any issues with it yet.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:59 pm   

As long as they remain synced, it should work fine.

However, if your package is on a remotely mounted disk, network hiccups could be a problem. Any time a global variable changes value, a button changes state, script gets modified, map gets edited, or alarm gets created, it needs to be written to the package. If the network connection hangs, Cmud will hang until it can write it. Zmud would not try to write things into the session unless specifically commanded or at session close. That prevented this kind of problem, but led to the frequent problem of losing all changes from a session during a Zmud crash. Consensus was that constant updating was preferable.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:41 am   

And the only way to change where it points is with a reinstall?

If the network hangs and isn't down it's likely to only be for a fraction of a moment, which is something I feel like I can deal with. If it gets to be too much I can just change it back to the way it is now.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:14 am   

Nah, just edit your session, package files tab.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:55 pm   

Won't I have to do that for any new sessions? Seems like it would actually just be easier to do the reinstall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: