Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
geniusclown
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:25 pm   

#BU syntax for gauge

I've been playing with the syntax for #BUTTON trying to create gauges from within an Event, but I can't figure out how to make it a gauge with my specified parameters. I used the Package Editor to manually create one such button. Here is the XML:
Code:
<button name="KhriCalmButton" type="Gauge" autosize="false" width="150" height="15" toolbar="3" color="#993366" textcolor="#CC99FF" gaugelowcol="red" priority="998957" id="1196">
  <caption>@KhriButtonCaption(Calm)%if(@CorePulse,,)</caption>
  <value>#UNBUTTON KhriCalmButton</value>
  <expr>@KhriButtonExpr(Calm)</expr>
  <gaugemax>@KhriButtonMax(Calm)</gaugemax>
  <gaugelow>@KhriButtonLow(Calm)</gaugelow>
</button>

How can I have my Event create this when passed the parameter "Calm"? Here's how it starts, but can't figure out what parameter goes where...
Code:
#BU {%concat("Khri",%1,"Button")} {@KhriButtonCaption(%1)} {#UNBUTTON %concat("Khri",%1,"Button")} {...??...}

Note that the @KhriButton___(%1) are Functions and should remain as such so the buttons will update, but all of the %concat()s should parse on creation so the actual %concat function doesn't appear in the created button.

Ultimately, I will move the code from the functions into the button creating Event, and may have further questions about parsing, but being able to create the gauge from command line is a good start...
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:24 pm   

Try using the #GAUGE command instead. It is possible to make gauges with the #BUTTON command, but it's much more complicated that way.
geniusclown
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:01 pm   

That's what I needed, thanks! Didn't realize there was a separate command.
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:10 pm   

Is there a way using #GAUGE to set which toolbar the button is created on?
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:52 pm   

I've found that to overcome the limitations of #BU and #GAUGE, I can create the setting with size, position, toolbar, etc parameters using #BU, then use #GAUGE to adjust the gauge-specific parameters. This is slightly impractical in the plan of creating and deleting gauges as needed, so I'm falling back on having the buttons already created, and use #T+ and #T- to make them visible, as I was doing initially.

The big problem with this is that I'm still coding how the buttons behave, and there are a total of 29 buttons that are identical except for the ability they report. If I tweak the code, I don't want to have to change the code for 29 buttons, possibly making errors through the repetition. Part of the problem is that each gauge has 3 states, and the gauge behaves differently for each state.

SOLUTION 1: Create functions that dictate the button behavior, and have all of my permanent buttons call those functions. The buttons' code is static, regardless of the state - the Functions handle different states.
NEW PROBLEM: This works perfect for the captions, but the gauge specific parameters don't call the Functions.

SOLUTION 2: When the state changes, use the #GAUGE to redefine the parameters for the new state.
NEW PROBLEM: When defining the gauge specific parameters, the #GAUGE command either does not expand anything, which leaves "%1" in the expression instead of the ability name, or evaluates completely so the gauge does not update with the variable. I've tried various syntax using brackets, braces, parenthesis, %expand... I just can't figure out how to make it adjust the gauges as needed.

So, I need either a way to get the gauges to call the functions (I don't expect this is possible), or a way to make it so an Event can adjust the Gauge code by expanding only the %1 while leaving everything else intact.
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:48 pm   

I'm still seeking a solution to this: how can I force expansion on "%1" only within a #GAUGE command?
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:55 pm   

Try compiling the #GAUGE command as a string, and executing it. Would look something like #EXECUTE %concat("#GAUGE id caption ",%1," maxvalue ....").
geniusclown
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:29 pm   

Brilliant! Worked like a charm!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: