Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
mazz
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:09 am   

Random alias deletion

I have had a few things happen with my system lately. One that has happend more regularly is alias deletion. From random packages and random class folders. I am running CMUD 3.34, I don't know that I can post anything else that would be revelant. Just wondering what could cause it.

Additionally, what causes repeat variables to show up? I have a package for variables only and I will get variables to show up in separate packages in normally the first class folder.

I still also lock up when trying to delete same triggers, etc. Once again, I don't there is any code to post because it is on ALL triggers that are made when the exact is already made.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:24 pm   

1)your packages are most likely corrupted. Send them all through the xml export/import process. Do the default ones too, though you could also simply delete those and do a reinstall. Keep in mind that what you see happening in your package could also be a symptom and not the cause, so may as well reset your layouts (session, package editor, and mapper), send your mapfile through the MapConvert v1.3 utility, and recreate your sessions.db file.

For future reference, if you ever see a popup that has a button with the caption of Continue Application, always press the Close Application button instead. CMud will report errors to you, but as far as program execution goes it acts as if the error never happened in the first place and so will try to do it's normal stuff like autosaving your data (probably now all fubared to hell) to file and executing triggers/aliases/etc. This is essentially why packages become corrupted in the first place, so don't do it.

2)Repeat variables happen for a few different reasons. Most are not bugs with CMud itself, but are instead logic errors introduced by the user/author.

The first is that everything is operating as intended and the script context is just not what you expected it to be (this is only applicable if you use only the variable name). Fixing this means editing your script to force context in some way or adjusting what window/modules can see what packages.

The second is that something in your script has disabled a class or otherwise done something so that it no longer can see the variable. The fix for this is also just to edit your scripts to avoid the issue.

The third issue IS a bug with CMud (or at least something involving package corruption), but I'm not sure it's been reproducible yet. When using the @varname syntax (ie, varname = value), sometimes the setting for whatever reason compiles with a variable pointer reference to a random class that does not contain the variable at all (either currently or when the variable was first created.) There's absolutely no indication that something went wrong in this situation until you start noticing the right variables ending up in the wrong places OR you happened to take a good look at the compiled code gibberish. Fixing this is purely all about changing all variable references to the absolute- or relative-pathing syntax (//module/class/.../varname or /class/.../varname.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: