Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Dangazzm
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:40 pm   

Real Newbie Tutorials?

I have been searching all morning for something that can REALLY get me going with Cmud. I drudged through the help files (which aren't that good for getting a basic understanding of everything heh as there's a TON to read) I FINALLy found out how triggers can help make the auto mapper VERY sturdy now and I LOVE IT. However I really wanna setup a few things... Health mana and XP bars. Is it possible to move room other unimportant things such as exits to a gauge? All these things to clean up the screen so I can focus on life or death text :P would be awesome but there doesn't appear to be such a thing.. video form would be FANTASTIC. Thanks for your time, I will continue reading the help files just in case this is as good as it gets...
Dangazzm
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:58 pm   

Ill tack this onto the list of things I wanna know how to do... hah so Midkemia, the game I am playing around on to see if I like now, makes rooms pile on top of each other. What I mean is that like the auto mapper will sometimes put rooms on top of rooms while looking close you can see they kinda stagger them but I would like it to be in a more pleasing to look at and easy to tell map. Is there a setting for this as well?
orphean
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:00 pm   

The closest video resources that exist that I know about are a few that Iron Realms put up on their youtube site http://www.youtube.com/user/IronRealms. There's not a lot of tutorial documentation at all sadly. The best you're going to find is the 'Feature Reference' section.

I have Camtasia and obvious Cmud, maybe I can put some together at some point. I'm not sure how useful videos are going to be for anything behind the utter basics though unless watching someone type is interesting.
Dangazzm
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:22 pm   

Yea I saw their video. That is so utterly basic and focusing on their game it was completely unhelpful in any way hah. I was just thinking that myself though that I COULD put it together as being useful I mean there are a few things like the #NODIR for the automapper and setting it on a trigger that if someone woulda had a video made for like this is what I do to make automapper do its job without going bat shit crazy (which is seems to do the past few days resulting in making a whole new one hah)

Just my 2 cents but if you started something like that as I learn I shall supplement it.

On a side note... MXP sends info from the host to your client such as current health max health ETC right? In the settings it has an option to auto setup gauges for these things but they aren't there. Cause the prompt can't send your XP info and it would be nifty (I am very visual) for an XP bar and things like that which I cannot do without it only updating when I hit score.
orphean
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:01 am   

The MXP gauges are something the server itself needs to send. That setting controls whether or not CMUD pays attention to them and create them automatically (for example if you already made gauges you don't want the server overwriting them or getting double gauges). IRE games don't send that information for the gauges. They do send XP and status information but not as MXP. They use GMCP to do that. So you can make GMCP triggers to capture that data and make your own gauges for everything.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:37 pm   

OldGuy2 made a few tutorials a while back. They are here: http://oldguy2.110mb.com/index.html

Unfortunately, every MUD is different so it's difficult to make MUD-specific newbie tutorials that are really useful to everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: