Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Airborne375
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:32 am   

MS Word 7 to CMUD - Missing characters

I just noticed with I cut and paste text from MS Word 7 into CMUD it seems to be dropping the apostrophe character (') is there a way I can remedy this
?

Thank you.
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:34 pm   

Hmm, only have MS Office 15 installed on my computer to test with, but they paste just fine from it into CMUD. Not sure if older versions of MS Office encoded them differently though or if it's something unique to your hardware/software setup.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:17 pm   

MS Word often uses special characters for apostrophe and quotes. You need to go into your Word preferences and turn off the "fancy quotes" feature. It's not just a problem with CMUD but with pasting into any other ascii text program. When pasting into my email program I often need to first paste into Notepad and then copy/paste from Notepad into my email, so that would also work with CMUD.
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:53 pm   

Hmm, don't seem to see that setting anywhere. While Word 15 doesn't seem to format apostrophes in any unusual manner it does seem to do so for quotation marks.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:05 pm   

It's in the area where the Smart Correct or Auto Correct preferences are. I can't keep track of it as Microsoft keeps moving various settings in each new version. I've stopped updating and still use Office 2003 (or Office 2007 on my laptop). It's a pain to find, but I think it's still an option somewhere.
Airborne375
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:58 pm   

Go through the Office Button > Word Options > Proofing > Autocorrect Options

Under the 'Auto Format' and 'Auto Format As You Type' tabs uncheck the straight quotes to smart quotes option under both tabs.

I use Office 7 and this fixed it for me.

Thanks for your help Zugg
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: