Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Cordir
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:27 am   

Mapping

I've been reading through the instructions on how to auto configure and manually configure the mapper, but my experiments don't seem to be working terribly well. As an Immortal, I see a bit more than the mapper's quite used to. I was never able to get the zmud mapper to work, so I created a lot of paper maps... but that's really sort of a waste of technology. If I can get CMUD to grok what all I get for input, that would be wonderful...

For example:

(prompt info) > Guild Hall
Area: Adventurer's Guild
[00201] [PEACEFUL ] [INDOORS ] [NOSTEAL ] [NO_MOB ] [GUILD ]
<inside>
Exit Vnums: North: 00209. Type P. Spec spec_qblock.
East : 00203.
South: 00204.
West : 00202.
[Exits: north east south west]
This huge room is the meeting place for all known adventurers of the
world. Due to special magics set upon the room, going north will allow
you instant transport to your hometown, no matter what your race may
be. The room is filled with many people, most of them wannabe
adventurers, but scattered amongst the throng of people you spot more
than a few living legends. It is rumored that even immortals visit
this place upon occasion.

I'm curious if:
1) Can the mapper be configured to read all those blocks? I tried identifying the various paragraphs, but I'm guessing I'm doing it wrong, as the mapper keeps thinking that the "exit vnums" data is actually the room name :(
2) Can the mapper be configured to read the AREA line, to know that it's a different zone?
3) Can the mapper be configured to read the Room Number (in the example above, 00201), and use that as its numbering?
4) If a room has more than one paragraph for the description, is that going to throw everything off?

Any help most gratefully appreciated,

Cordir
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:13 am   

Well.. as an immortal, you might be able to change how your MUD displays rooms (if necessary) to better work with the mapper. MXP is nice.

The length of the description should not matter.
Given the amount of data you're are having displayed, I would suggest use of the #NOMAP command. The mapper doesn't need to see any of that information anymore than a standard player does.
The #TAG command is useful if the mapper is having trouble identifying certain parts of the room on reconfiguration.
And #OK is used to confirm a movement (usually when its to dark to see the room) when/if you have trouble with the map location following you during gameplay. #MOVE and #TELEPORT will force it.

For more info on the above commands type '#HELP command' into the cmud window.
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:23 am   

1. CMUD can be made to read it all and assign data appropriately, if you can make a trigger pattern to match it.
2. %roomzone should be what you want
3. Something similar was done for another numbering format for rooms on some games (GMCP?) you might be able to find another thread on the forums. Also, you can set your own %roomvnum
4. Shouldn't matter once you have your own helper triggers for the mapper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: