Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Pern72
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:55 pm   

Cmud Mapper

Hello.

I'm playing on a MOO, and I'm trying to put together a map. However, this game does not follow the traditional, N, S, E, W, NE etc. exits. Now, I've tried to just add new rooms, desc them appropriately, and add exits. However, after attempting to link two rooms, the map doesn't recognize that I've moved.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong. When I'm linking the rooms I'm simply not selecting what direction the room is in, and I'm trying to create a new link to rooms by the numbers that they are assigned. If you need more information please ask.

Thank you.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:10 am   

Ask? You didn't provide ANY information at all (the post above that you put effort into was a waste of time).

1)we don't know what your room info from the game looks like. Alternatively, we don't know what game you play so we can go look for ourselves.

2)we don't know what triggers/scripts you have to deal with any obvious issues you determined there to be.

3)we don't know what the results of your configuration look like.
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:22 am   

I guess I will try and work on it more to see if I can show anything substantial. I don't think any triggers would really be necessary as it's more of a RP game than a code-heavy MUD type game.

The game is Harper's Tale. http://www.harpers-tale.com/

And just to clarify I'm not using the automap mode. This is due to the games extremely different nature in terms of exits (non-directional). Exits are named. All I've done is tried to add rooms manually, then manually link them via the tools in the cmud mapper.

Sidenote:

I've been searching but don't want to create another topic. Can you set a background image in Cmud? Or only Zmapper?
Pern72
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:00 am   

Ok I did a lot of work on figuring out directional stuff. That's done. I've used the automapper in a fashion that everything kind of links up. However, is there way to link certain directional exits with a second word as well?
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:07 am   

Please give us more information. What do your exits look like? What have you done so far on the directional stuff? Can you show us the room description and exits as displayed by the mud? We have nothing to work with so far.
Pern72
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:16 am   

For example this is one of the rooms in the game. The exits are pretty obvious on the bottom.

Inner Caverns
Ancient caverns unfold in an endless maze of tunnels and stairs, the Weyr's cavities a labyrinth to the uninitiated. Here, trimmed by the last of the stone cutters, arched walls and vaulted ceilings retain the soapy smoothness of well-worn stone, as do the endless tunnel floors kept clear and tidy. Shadows creep and flicker across these glowlit mountain walls, creatures of non-light wending their way east to the main caverns and bowl, or branching out in a web of caves to the Weyr's living spaces.
Shadowed on stone-smooth ledge is a brown firelizard.
Obvious exits:
Living Caverns Guests' Quarters Hallway Dorms Candidate Barracks Baths Brat Cave Infirmary Stairwell

By using +compass I'm able to get this:
Code:

UP
Quiet Corners
                            Staff Hallway                             
                Resident Dorms    N    Guests' Quarters
                               NW | NE                               
         Candidate Barracks --W---+---E-- Living Caverns
                               SW | SE                               
                         Baths    S    Infirmary
                              Brat Cave         

EDIT (MattLofton):added the BBcode CODE tags to preserve spacing.

Therefore, as a result, I've automapped the exits according to their direction on the compass. I've successfully mapped the whole area I want to. But what I REALLY want is to be able to have the map follow my directions by the shown exit commands as well.

For example, the "Living Caverns" are East as shown by the compass. and if I use the command east, the map will follow me. However, if I used the exit, 'living cavern', my character move, but the map will not follow me.

Any suggestions?
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:54 am   

Right-click on a room. Click the second tab at the right of the new window. Click on each exit in turn, and change the "Name" field from the normal direction e.g. "e" to "living caverns" or whatever the command is.
Then, typing the commands should move you correctly, and using the keypad should also now send the commands you have set for those directions.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:52 pm   

As a further benefit, actually typing "e" or "east" in that room will also automatically be converted to "living caverns" before the command is sent to the mud. So if you are using the map to get around, it will work correctly.
Pern72
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:12 pm   

Thank you, I will see if that works.

Now do I always have to be in map mode for the little dot to follow my position? When I set it to the follow mode, or click the x, there is simply no dot to follow my movement. Is this correct?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:18 pm   

It will follow in follow mode (hense the name) it is only the the x that will stop it.

However, if your mapper is out of sync, it may not follow properly based on that. have you made any #NODIR triggers?
Also if the dot for current position is missing, you can select a room in the mapper, and then click on the blue pushpin icon above to set your location.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:18 pm   

Thank you for your help. Learning a lot from the assistance you guys are offering here.

I've setup the entire map so that I can use ingame commands to move around the map succesfully. I only have a few cases where for some reason the client will not register a certain command to move to a room. That is cmud acting up I think because it works fine with Simplemu.

For example if I want to move from Resident Dorms to Inner Caverns (the room from which I posted that +compass), the command is 'cavern'. However, that doesn't even invoke a response from the server when I input that. Not even an 'I don't understand that'. Strange.

I have no idea what a #NODIR trigger is. The only triggers I've set up were triggers that turn certain text to a different color.

I asked earlier but I think it may have been swallowed by other issues. Is there a way I can add a background image to the map in cmud? I know you can in zmapper but it is my understanding that zmapper doesn't work with cmud.

Also, Is there anyway that you can setup the links between the rooms to accept more than one non-standard name? For example, to move from 'Inner Caverns' to 'Living Caverns' the command is 'Living Caverns'. However, ingame you can also use 'LC' to move as well. Can I set it up so that the Cmud mapper will recognize both 'Living Caverns' and 'LC'?

Thanks so much guys!
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:05 pm   

Well... easily... no
However, if you go to the trouble of defining custom directions you might be able to work it
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:08 am   

[edit][/edit]

Last edited by Myrkul on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pern72
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:19 am   

Myrkul, you mean just add another link? Would that create issues with the existing links? If not you're a genius. Idk why I didn't think of that.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:06 pm   

No, it should not affect any other links. If the exits went to different rooms, then typing "east" would automatically use the first "east" exit. But since all these exits will go to the same place, I think it will work invisibly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: