Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:58 am   

New Command Idea!

#CAPADD WindowName
#WINADD Windowname $paramter

Appends the line or selected text to the last line in a given child window, similar to #SAYADD, put preserving color where applicable.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:17 am   

well, somewhat related, but new function idea (even though it's been suggested before? kinda)
%roomborder(vnum, color) -- colors room borders.. i dunno the status of this one, though..
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:27 pm   

Shalimar: Have you tried doing:
Code:
:windowname:#sayadd "text"

to see if that works?

I'm resistant to add a bunch of new commands that have a single purpose like that. It's bad enough already with #SAY, #SAYADD, #SAYPROMPT, etc. What I really need to do instead is add a well-defined way to add text to any window, whether it's with #say or #cap or #window or #echo etc.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:20 pm   

Yea, i wans thinking how i could redirect the #sayadd over there
but there is no way to capture and append to a current line and retain the MUD color codes.

Maybe a better method would be a means of shifting the prompt to be at the end of the last line
Then a standard capture would do what I want
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm   

Quote:

there is no way to capture and append to a current line and retain the MUD color codes.

There is if your #SAYADD is in a trigger. Ansi color codes are retained in the script usage of %1...%99 in an ansi trigger, insofar as the color codes were part of the captured subpattern (I suppose other predefined variables like %line also have them as well).

If you don't want to use #SAYADD, you can use #WINDOW in conjunction with the MXP <dest> tag for similar results.
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:39 pm   

Yes, but #SAYADD uses the default window color

:window:#SAYADD %line

this will not retain the colors used in the line when sent from the mud, which rather defeats my purpose

i could add it in myself it remained static, but this trigger picks up three differently colored channels
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:56 am   

Not quite. #SAYADD uses whatever's in the variable being referenced, and in the case of %line it's been internally %stripansi()'d. If you create an ansi trigger and #SAYADD %1, you will find that whatever's in %1 will be colorized.
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:34 am   

yes, but like i said, my trigger fires on three different colored channel windows, so to test what you said i would have to separate them out so i could bind it to a single ansi color
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:18 am   

Umm, what? I totally didn't understand what you were trying to say here. Ansi triggers are not limited to singular colors, nor do you need to limit yourself to literal ansi-code text like in ZMud. Similarly, if any particular ansi codes are unimportant for your purposes you don't even need to explicitly match for them in the pattern unless not doing so interferes with matching any non-ansi-code stuff you're trying to reach.

Besides, for testing purposes, just create a new contrived trigger to play with that you can then simply delete after you've learned and explored the concept troubling you.
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:08 am   

If it makes you feel better, I don't exactly understand your suggested workaround either.
I thought you meant the old method of preserving ansi be checking the ansi box before pasting in the copied text from the scrollback buffer.

Currently, the code I am using (with some help from this thread) to simulate a #CAPADD command is as follows:

Code:
<trigger name="OOCChannel" priority="500" id="50">
  <pattern><{CHAT|Question|OOC}></pattern>
  <value>#CAP OOC
#GAG</value>
  <trigger type="Within Lines" param="1">
    <pattern>^   %s( %w{*|})$</pattern>
    <value>:OOC:#SAYADD %1
#GAG
#STATE 1</value>
  </trigger>
</trigger>

It works well enough to concat the text on one line, however, everything after the first line shows in the default text color instead of the color sent by the mud.

Perhaps you could be more clear in describing your workaround to preserve the color?
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:37 pm   

[edit][/edit]

Last edited by Myrkul on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
DraxDrax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:54 pm   

Try replacing the line :OOC:#SAYADD %1 with :OOC:#SAYADD %concat(%linecol, %1) It's a very simple solution that just uses the variable %linecol to maintain the first color used in the line. I'm not sure if it'll work, and it won't maintain more than the first color being used, but if that's sufficient to your needs, it's worth a try.

Using an ansi trigger will work for more than just the first color being used, but it would also mean a more complicated pattern for state 1 of your trigger, and some parsing to maintain the colors while eliminating all of the unwanted white space that your trigger pattern is removing.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:55 pm   

Once i turn on ansi (on the #COND), it stops capturing the additional lines of text
Doesn't seem to do anything if its only selected on the main pattern.

Apparently %linecol is expanding to -1 instead of some ansi codes, so that idea doesnt work either (it is also completely undocumented in the help files)

Any other ides to better simulate #CAPADD?
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:30 pm   

%linecol is listed under 'predefined variables'

Could you post a few examples of the lines your mud is sending you that you want this trigger to match, complete the the ansi codes? The easiest way to do that is probably to open up the debug window (type #DEBUG) and make sure everything under 'Options' is disabled while under 'Messages' only 'Show raw session input/output' is enabled. Then copy/paste us a few of the valid examples.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:07 pm   

Ah yes, I see it now.

Single line example:
Code:
<ESC>[32m Soandso <Question> I'll come have a look.<CR><LF>
<ESC>[0;37;40m
Code:
<ESC>[35mSoandso <CHAT> I miss New York.<CR><LF>
<ESC>[0;37;40m

Multi line example:
Code:
<ESC>[32m Soandso <Question> Welcome! Be sure to read all of the room descriptions
 and signs. If you have questions, just let us know here<CR><LF>
                  with question and your message. Have fun!<CR><LF>
<ESC>[0;37;40m
Code:
<ESC>[32m Soandso <Question> It just means can you see question, which you can! You know how just now you did an emote like 'Soandso ears<CR><LF>
                   pivot...' ? It took me literally a year before I figured out there's a way to add and -'s to your name at the<CR><LF>
                   beginning of an emote, so I thought maybe I'd just help you out and point you towards the help file 'help<CR><LF>
                   pmote'<CR><LF>
<ESC>[0;37;40m

P.S. Zugg, did you ever work more on the word-unwrapper?
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:43 pm   

In your case, Shalimar, you simply need to include a subpattern to match color codes in general rather than specific ones (unless it's possible and likely you're going to get spoofed and you need to literally match based on color.) Wildcards work fine, so something like (%e[[%d;]m) will capture the color for you to use at the point of display.

Just include that in the state 0 trigger, and then change your #SAYADD to #SAYADD %t1%1
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:31 pm   

Code:
<trigger name="OOCChannel" priority="500" id="50">
  <pattern>(%e~[[%d;]m)*<{CHAT|Question|OOC}></pattern>
  <value>#CAP OOC
#GAG</value>
  <trigger type="Within Lines" param="1">
    <pattern>^   %s( %w{*|})$</pattern>
    <value>:OOC:#SAYADD %t1%1
#GAG
#STATE 1
#SAY did it work?</value>
  </trigger>
</trigger>

It captures just fine, but the color data is still missing when i get to #SAYADD
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:15 pm   

Try:
Code:
<cmud>
  <trigger name="OOCChannel" priority="500">
    <pattern><{CHAT|Question|OOC}></pattern>
    <value>#CAP OOC
#GAG</value>
    <trigger type="Within Lines" param="1" ansi="true">
      <pattern>^(%e~[[%d;]m)   %s( %w{*|})$</pattern>
      <value>:OOC:#SAYADD %1%2
#GAG
#STATE 1</value>
    </trigger>
  </trigger>
</cmud>
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:05 pm   

that does not capture additional lines at all
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:29 pm   

Quote:

It captures just fine, but the color data is still missing when i get to #SAYADD

1)interesting. A trigger pattern looking for ansi color codes in a line that doesn't have ansi color codes (as far as the trigger parser is concerned) still executes its code if the rest of the pattern matches?

2)your trigger didn't have the ansi trigger option turned on. As such, color info wouldn't be retained anyways (as you were told earlier).

3)my solution does work, and apparently it's a great test for figuring out what's broken. The first window I tested this on ended up replacing the value in %t1 (ie, an ansi color code) with a random URL. Since a URL is not an ansi color code, #SAYADD stayed with the default color (in my case, it's silver/dim white). The second window I tested this on retained the color information.
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:58 pm   

1. I agree, but the text is still there to be matched weather it is seen in the end display or not..
2. Sorry, been editing this so much, forgot to recheck that option. On fixing that it still isn't retaining the color codes for me.
3. If the above check box is the only difference between my code and yours, then why isn't it working for me?
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:48 pm   

1)uh, no it's not. In a non-ansi trigger, the trigger parser uses the same value assigned to %line (no ansi codes at all). In an ansi trigger, it uses the original line (with ansi codes). Since the first thing in the pattern is the subpattern for an ansi code, state 0 without the ansi trigger option checked should never fire at all (which means that if anything from state 1 was happening your trigger was stuck on state 1 at the time you initiated the test rather than starting from state 0).

3)only two things I can think of: 1)corruption is interfering with your result like it did in my first test (albeit, it looks like %t1's new value is still unprintable) or 2)some other trigger is executing first and producing an uncolored version of the same line (your trigger would then operate on this result instead of the no-longer-existing original line sent from the game).
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:47 pm   

I consistently get an access violation error when I try to combine %t1 with the focus syntax :<window>: or <window>: so a different error from the one you experienced, Matt, but more evidence to suggest its a bug. %t1 seems to work fine for other uses, but not when it's being combined with the focus character : This was on an otherwise empty Cmud session.

A workaround to that issue that worked for me in testing it was to change the line :OOC:#SAYADD %t1%1 to #EXEC {:OOC:#SAYADD {%t1%1}} so that the variables are expanded before the command or focus syntax get parsed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: