Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Airborne375
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:06 am   

Problem with opening multiple characters.

I have several characters that I log into the same MUD with. All the characters ‘get along’ with each other save one. If I have this troubled character open I can not open others, if I have others open I cannot open this one. Under the window tab the character shows to be active though I cannot switch to it. The settings show under the package editor, sometimes multiple times if I tried to load the character repetitively and it failed.

I’m using CMud version 3.33a and once again there seems to be only one character that has this trouble.

Thanks for any assistance or offered advice.
Shezmu
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:19 am   

You're probably going to have to provide more information. Are all settings & packages the same across the board, or is there something different about this one character?
Airborne375
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:36 pm   

I honestly don't know. The package information is still a mystery to me. I just learned by futzing with things and managed to get them to work. I was hoping there was a global 'button' somewhere that was an obvious fix. Can you recommend a good tutorial for the package and settings editors.

Also what is the most efficient way to search this forum? Being able to find some answers to my woes by myself will teach me about many side features. It's likely the hard way to go about things but I'm a hands on sort of learner.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:40 pm   

There may indeed be a simple setting that will fix your problem, but without knowing a whole lot more about how you have set up your sessions, we can't tell what that might be.
Airborne375
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:42 pm   

Fair enough, what do you need? Can I export my settings to text? If not can you tell me where to look and what you need?
Airborne375
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:43 pm   

Can anyone help me? I asked this question some time ago?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:23 pm   

With one character not opening, or causing other characters to not open, it sounds like you have data corruption. Probably layout corruption, but not out of the picture is package corruption. Package corruption happens, or at least has the potential to happen, whenever CMud has an Access Violation error or even if something happens to cause a silent crash (a silent crash is one where CMud just entirely disappears from memory but does not cause an Access Violation.)

Layout can be fixed by employing the shift trick. Hold down Shift while opening your character and CMud will ignore any layout file configurations when loading that character. All windows will be opened in a simple tab list across the top, so you will need to rearrange them as you like if necessary.

Package corruption is a little bit more involved. First, you need to open up the Package Editor and click on the tab for the package you want to export. Next, choose the File|Export XML (all) menu option to create the .xml file for that package. Then, close any open windows associated with the package to remove (if you don't, when you try to remove the package CMud will crash). After that, remove the package (right-click on the tab you want to remove) and delete the file from your hard drive. Finally, create a new package and import the xml file to it. Do this for every package and you should completely lick any package corruption-caused problems.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:34 pm   

Have you tried creating a new session for that trouble-character?

Try that, then then make sure it plays well with the others.
Next, copy settings over from the problem -session bit by bit checking to make sure all is still working well after each copy.
At the end you should have either identified at least one setting/package that's being a problem or have a new, fully function session.
Airborne375
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:50 pm   

I'd like to thank everyone advised me with my particular problem. I created a new character and transferred all the old settings into, things are working fine.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: