Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
techsped

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:23 am   

3.33 Feels Sluggish?

Are there any tips to speed things up or is it just a beta thing? Text seems to crawl by much slower than on the last version of Zmud.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:40 am   

3.33 is not a beta version, it is a public release. And generally, 3.33 should be as fast or faster than 2.37. Do you have lots of triggers? Or even just one that fires frequently? Perhaps they are slowing it down for you. You could try turning off your triggers to see if the speed improves, and then turn on triggers one by one until you find something that seems to slow it down.
[edit]Oh, you are comparing to Zmud. Well, it's very hard to compare the two, but in Zugg's tests, Cmud comes out several times faster than Zmud. It all depends on what you are doing, though.
techsped

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 am   

Less triggers than i had on zmud. I imported everything directly from it, went through and deleted several. Performance seems much slower though.
orphean
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:35 am   

Is it something measurable or just does it just seem slower? If anything CMUD should be faster than ZMUD especially if you have alot of script heavy triggers or a system of some kind since the code is compiled to bytecode now. I hate to say 'works for me' but I haven't noticed alot of slowdown and I play on some pretty spam heavy MUDs. I'm curious what you're actually seeing.
techsped

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:13 am   

The client doesnt keep up when in text heavy encounters like my old zmud did. Ill input commands and it will take a moment for the text response from the mud and do some fast spamming lines to catch up. My ping times to the mud are the same as always so i thought i would drop by here and see if there was something I didnt know about. If its just me i guess ill just have to deal but it never hurts to ask for any info i might not know about!
techsped

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:31 am   

I think i found 'the problem'. The default refresh rate is set to 5 lines which results in horrible looking scrolling almost looking like lag or client slowdown(to me anyways). I set it to 1 and its smooth as silk now.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:04 am   

When you imported your Zmud triggers, did you check whether they all compiled? If you have triggers that haven't compiled correctly, it will hang for a fraction of a second every time the trigger tries to fire.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:47 pm   

Rahab is correct: make sure you run the Compatibility Report in the settings editor for your imported zMUD scripts. Just importing your zMUD scripts doesn't ensure the fastest speed in CMUD. There are lots of things you can do in CMUD to speed up triggers. You can use the Script Debugger window to determine which triggers are firing and how long they are taking. Then you can speed up the scripts with features like local variables. Or post them (to a different forum post) and people here can help you speed them up.

Setting the Refresh Rate to 1 is actually slowing down your CMUD client, not speeding it up. The Refresh Amount determine how often CMUD repaints the screen after getting new lines from the MUD. Setting it to 1 means that CMUD is repainting the screen after *every* line received. This can result in smoother "looking" scrolling, but actually slows down the client and your script response. The default setting of 5 repaints the screen after every 5 lines, which might give jerkier scrolling, but allows the client to respond faster to the MUD since it's not spending as much CPU time refreshing the screen. No matter what this option is set to, CMUD always repaints the screen at the end of a MUD packet, so this preference only effects the scrolling when receiving large chunks of text. Setting this to zero is the fastest option since then it will only repaint the screen at the end of a network packet, but it won't refresh the screen during scrolling and you'll miss a lot of stuff, so setting it to zero isn't recommended.

In any case, it's important to understand this difference between "perceived" speed based upon visual screen updates, and "actual" speed of client response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: