According to %stripq KB, you should be able to do:

Code:
a=123
#FUNC test {%literal(%1)}
#SHOW @test("@a"@a"@a")

and expect it to return:

Code:
@a"@a"@a

Despite the obvious "error" in that it should be #RETURN %literal(%1), the coding does NOT work as described. Instead, it returns, literally, %1.

This presents a problem as we can't really use %literal in any scripting syntax because normally, parameters are used. It's been a problem for ages now, but I hadn't realized it was a bug (just honestly thought it was a useless function) until I read the %stripq help file. Yes, I do know that %literal does state it returns without expansion or evaluation... but then these two contradict themselves...

Please fix! Thanks!
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:12 pm   

That documentation is old. It is referring to the old #FUNC command, which has been renamed #VARFUNC. Try it with #VARFUNC. Zugg will have to tell us whether that is supposed to work with the new #FUNC command. And I guess the documentation needs to be corrected. At first glance, it does appear that %literal is not working correctly.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:47 pm   

Yeah, #FUNC has nothing to do with the issue, to be honest, and the documentation came directly from the CMUD help database (which I realize may not be completely up-to-date). I was just using that as reference in there.

There's no need to try %literal with anything else, since it simply will not return what should be proper.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:22 pm   

Yeah, the documentation is wrong. Using %literal is like putting " quotes around it. So %literal(%1) is the same as "%1".

Also, the syntax in your #SHOW command is wrong. If you want to put a " within an existing quote, you need to double it. So the correct line would be:
Code:
#SHOW @test("@a""@a""@a")
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:31 pm   

What is the point of %literal, then? What scripting purpose does it have? Obviously cannot capture something and have it literal, so I'd have to do a %replace to replace " with "". Just curious on this.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:34 pm   

It's a left-over from zMUD I think. I never use it myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: