Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
grecliff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:08 am   

[3.33a] CMUD won't start

When I try to launch Cmud.exe, all I get is a ping. There are no error messages, and Cmud.exe only briefly appears in the list of processes in task manager before closing. There were no errors during install, although the same ping came up near the end of the install.

I'm on Windows XP SP3, and I previously ran CMUD 2.37 with no problems. I first tried upgrading, then I tried uninstalling and doing a clean install using the download from the website. I had the same problem each time. My anti-virus is Microsoft Security Essentials, and I've added the CMUD directory as an exception (since I've read some programs have a problem with CMUD's authentication method). I've also added it to the Windows Firewall exceptions list, although there was never any message indicating that the firewall was blocking anything.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:39 pm   

It's sounds like a key step in the installation failed, specifically you had some sort of error when CMUD tried to register as a COM server. I would recommend you back up your sessions folder, and reinstall (or failing that do a clean install) of CMUD. Ensure that the registering COM server step goes smoothly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:53 pm   

Is there any way I can get an error log for the installation? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times now with no effect.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:14 pm   

When you uninstall, be sure to manually delete any files in your CMUD directory. Also make sure you are installing CMUD using the %DOCUMENTS% option for the local of the User Session Data Files (one of the questions in the installer). Also be sure you have run Windows Update and have all the latest updates and that any Antivirus or Network security software is also updated. And be sure you are logged into your Admin account when you install CMUD.

If that still doesn't work, then try disabling any network security software or anti virus software that might be interfering with the CMUD copy protection.

And of course be sure to try rebooting Windows. Sometimes Windows gets screwed up and rebooting is the only way to get it working properly again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: