Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Hemdall
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:25 am   

How improve a script?

Hello,
I'm a bit concerned about efficiency one of my scripts (haven't done any benchmark test because I don't know how I could do that). I will be grateful for any suggestion how possibly I could improve a code. Firstly I got 32 gauge buttons where the caption is string from database variable. Every time I check health i destroy this variable and it is recreated when specific trigger fires on. Records in this variable are names of the team members and their actual health (thats why I destroy it when I check health). I would like to know if caption of button is updated every time trigger fires on and the specific variable has changed or only when position of the specific record in this variable has changed. What impact will have using #sort every time variable changes considering it might have 20+ records already?
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:01 am   

Every gauge which depends on any value in that button will be updated whenever any value in that button is updated. You're concern is well-founded--this will be extremely inefficient. Also, I believe that once you use #sort, the variable will have an internal toggle set which will keep the variable sorted until you turn the toggle off or the variable is destroyed.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:42 pm   

The caption of all 32 buttons are updated whenever at least one caption in the variable is changed. This because buttons do not see beyond the top level of a variable reference (that is, the button will see @varname but not .key) when determining if any variable references were modified.

As far as other points of efficiency:

1)choose to modify a value instead of destroying the setting and recreating it later.
2)disable what you can when you are sure you do not need it
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: