Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Darkflame808
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:56 am   

Break up variable into smaller variables?

Is it possible to take a string and break it up into smaller strings?

I'm trying to take a line of text and break it up into words.

For example I have a line that looks like this.

%[e32mA private commander (ansi color is yellow)

My goal is to make a MXP link for the individual words that does the command "exa"

#Trigger ^%e[32m {#show ok}

Will show "ok" on all lines that are yellow while skipping everything else which means i'm triggering only the proper lines however,

#Trigger ^%e32m(*) {#show %line} will show me the entire line "A private commander"

Creating a MXP link to %1 will show A private commander and send "exa A private commander" which fails on the mud.

Putting a trigger on (%w) and repeating in line will resolve my issue but it'll create links for every word in the mud and not just the ones on the orange lines.

Putting a trigger on ^%e[32m(%w) will create a link only to the first word on each line in which "exa a" will fail
Putting a trigger on %e[32m(%w) with "repeat within line" will only create a link to the last word of the line. "exa commander" works but for example An impoverished man will fail because the unique word is impoverished.

Is there a way to break up %line into (%w) (%w) (%w) (%w) (%w) ........and turn A private commander into A private commander from here I can click the unique word and have exa commander or exa private take effect.

Thanks!
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:16 am   

Code:
#LOCAL Output;#LOOP %numwords(%line, " ") {$Output=%concat($Output,"<send 'exa ",%word(%line, %i," "),"'>",%word(%line, %i," "),"</send> ")};#MXP $Output}

Keep in mind that if you output it in the same color, it's going to go into an infinite loop. But that should work for you, anyway.
Darkflame808
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:57 pm   

Holy smokies that script has officially declared me a script kiddie. Lol

I'm going to %stripansi from the output because it was actually logging 0mA when I first started toying with my database. That should isolate any loops.

Thank you very much! I'll test it as soon as I get home. Have a wonderful day!
Darkflame808
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:16 pm   

Hey Charneus,

Thank you very much for your assistance!, Here was my final script for others to see if they ever run into the same situation.
Code:

#trigger ^%e[33m
{
#gag
#LOCAL Output;#LOOP %numwords(%line, " ") {$Output=%concat($Output,"<send 'exa ",%word(%replace((%line),",",""), %i," "),"'>",%word(%line, %i," "),"</send> ")};#MXP $Output
}

It's exactly as you left it but I made a small adition of stripping out the , from the exa portion using the %replace function. I only know how to strip 1 character, not several so I chose , as that was the most common character used. Razz

Thank you very much for taking the time to draw that up for me. Much appreciated!
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:35 pm   

To strip out several characters, it's probably best to use %subchar, where you can do:

%subchar(%line, ",-.?!*")

and whatever other characters you come across.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: