Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
salnem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:46 am   

Access Violation during 3.31 installation

I get the message "Error: Access violation at 0x03F6CCBB (tried to read from 0x00000000), program terminated" when trying to install version 3.31 of cMUD. I am running windows 7 pro 64 bit. It is clearly happening when it tries to execute cmud with the /REGSERVER option. I am running the setup as adminstrator. I tried clearing out all cmud files from both the "program files folder" and the "my games\cmud" folder and installing again and I still get the same error. If I try to open cmud after the installation fails at the end I get the same message. I can install and run version 2.37 with no issues.

I think I provided all of the info I can, but if there's something else you need to know to help, let me know.

Thanks in advance
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:23 pm   

What AV system are you using. Some of them don't play nice with the Armadillo security system that CMUD uses. I use Win 7 64bit and and CMUD 3.31 with no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:26 pm   re: AV System

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials. I couldn't remember where I could go to turn it off or make an exception. When I get home tonight I'm going to try that, thanks.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:02 pm   

Odd that it fails when v2.37 works since they use the same copy protection. The first time you install CMUD it needs Admin privs to register the COM server (that's what the /regserver option does, and also what CMUD does the first time you run it if /regserver failed). You said you were installing as admin, but maybe your Win7 isn't elevating your priveleges properly. Try right-clicking on the CMUD.EXE file and use the Run As Admin option the first time to see if that works.
salnem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:33 pm   

OK, I tried turning off MS Security Essentials. No difference.
I tried Zugg's suggestion and right-clicking on CMUD.EXE and using Run as Admin. Still same message.

Is there some further error report I could get with more info that would help?
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:02 pm   

You can check the Task Manager and see what CMUD.exe processes are running. There should be two. You can try a full uninstall and a clean reinstall. Not sure what else to suggest except to make sure you install and run it the first time as an admin. You can also try backing up and uninstalling your CMUD 2.xx session as well in case there's a chance of interaction there. Also make sure you have access to the install directories (although installing as admin should ensure that).
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:38 pm   

Sometimes just turning off the AV software isn't enough. But *something* running on your computer is still interfering with CMUD. I've *never* seen a case where using Run As Admin doesn't help, so something on your computer is definitely getting in the way. You might want to try adding CMUD to any white-list or exclusion list in your MS Security software. Also make sure you run Windows Update and have the latest version of all your software since companies that screw up 3rd party copy protection often eventually update themselves to fix this. Lots of software uses the Armadillo copy protection and it's not something I have any direct control over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: