Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
coriandergrass
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:27 pm   

#WAITSIGNAL vs. expression trigger

In my Zmud 7.21, I was using a lot of expression triggers, which gave me lots of hard time.

Now in Cmud all of these wierd things have been fixed, and the multi-thread looks so good. So should I use #WAITSIGNAL, #RAISE a signal to replace those expression triggers? Which method is faster and more reliable?
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:33 pm   

I would recommend staying with expression triggers. The main caveat of expressions is that they don't work with database variables or functions.

Depending on exactly what you are trying to accomplish #EVENTs can be quite useful as well. Particularly when you want to respond to a condition that can arrive several ways, and or quite often. For example, on common event is often defined "onPrompt". Another example is for status ailments that can occur multiple ways. "The warrior kicks dust in your eyes and blinds you", "the harpie scratches your eyes out", "the alchemist throws acid in your face" could each result in you be being blinded. You can then simply respond to that singular event. This is especially powerful when you are developing packages for others.

By using #WAITSIGNAL you start working with multiple threads which can easily become quite onerous if used improperly. Caveat emptor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: