Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
jwbrandon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:21 am   

Help adjusting multiplay settings to CMUD from zMUD.

*EDIT* Read reply for update...

Hey folks, hopefully you all can help me get this straightened out in short order.

Due to a small player-base my home MUD currently allows multi-play, or playing two characters at the same time. While zMUD 7.x works just fine on my Win 7 Pro x64 desktop it hangs on my Win 7 Pro x64 laptop. Since Windows 7 isn't supported and it's been like 10 years since I gave Zugg some money for zMUD I figured I'd look at switching over to CMUD since there's no real learning curve moving to it, at least not at the command line.

The way I had zMUD set up was that I had two sessions created, they were both set not to autologin but had a username defined. One session's username was set to main and the other's set to bot. They were both set to use the same .MUD settings file. If I created a new trigger or alias in one window that I wanted to have available permanently I'd just simply save my settings file manually, then go to the other window and reopen the settings file, that way I didn't have to worry about which session I closed first. The window placement/docking settings seemed to be determined by the application, not by the session, so my side-by-side sessions (widescreen monitor) would simply reinstate themselves when I opened the second session. Since each session had a different character name, stored in the session information, each window would be appropriately #NAMEd at startup and I could simply type main:<command> or bot:<command> from the other window, and also use these items in aliases, triggers and scripts. This kept things character neutral for me, and since I have 6 different characters on this MUD, each with some overlap and each a little different, not having to remember which settings file I was using or care about what name was in a certain window was important.

Now, moving in to CMUD, things seem to be a bit different. First, while the #NAME assigned to a window is saved, it now seems to be saved as part of the package and is not derived from the session login name as it was in zMUD. I thought perhaps it was saved in the layout file, so I tried giving each session its own layout as well, no luck. Whenever I open either session (both using the same .PKG) the window is named whatever the last one I closed was named. For example, if I open two sessions that use the same .PKG they would both come up labeled MAIN. If I change one to BOT and go about my playing, it's fine... but if I were to close out the MAIN window then close the BOT window upon reopening both windows would be named BOT.

The other thing is window layout... according to help file the layout is supposed to be saved, if I set my windows up using docking so they're split screen vertically (one on the left, one on the right) and play for a bit, then close them out, they come back full screen when being reopened.

Here is what is important to me, so that you might best point me to solutions that will solve the problems:

Some method of sharing aliases, triggers and variables amongst two active windows. I don't mind having to do a Save in one window and Open in another, but due to the way the Package editor works if I open a .pkg file it starts a new session it seems, and XML export/import doesn't seem to want to overwrite existing items. I would be fine with having one shared package (since that functionality exists) with a separate .PKG file for each session to keep its identifying information in, but when I try that anything that I add to one session gets stored by default in that session's .PKG and not the shared one, and i don't see an easy way to force things to be written to a specific package from the command line: (Something like: #tr {trig} {action} {class} {.PKG} would work nicely, but doesn't seem to be implemented.} It's crucial that the #NAME setting for each window be retained, though, as I really don't wanna have to type #name every time I reopen a window.

A method of having my side by side windows saved between sessions, though in reality if all the other issues get worked out manually redocking when I initially log in for my gaming sessions isn't really a big deal.

I hope this is all clear, and I hope you can help... thanks in advance.
jwbrandon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:50 pm   

Update:

Okay, so I've got some of this figured out. The ability to 'Save Session As...' with multiple windows open kinda takes care of some of the issue, though it doesn't save my side-by-side layout, it does retain the window names.

I have had to create a shared package that contains triggers and aliases for sharing between the characters, though, and a specific package for each one... and this is annoying because anytime I create a new alias, trigger or what have you I have to open the package editor and drag the entry from the local session package to the shared module so it can be used by both windows in that session. If there is an easy way to write new entries straight to the shared module/package directly from the command line then I can shut up and go play :)
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:20 pm   

If I understand right, you use one package for all 6 characters? If so try this out it's pretty simple but should work.

1. open your session offline.
2. Close any open/active windows.
3. Open package editor and select the main session window that has all your settings in it. on the bottom right of the package editor there should be an option called convert to module. Click this.
4. select the little circle beside global.
5. click on the new fly-out and make two new windows.
6. Select the option tab at the bottom.
7. Set the name to Main on one and Bot on the other in the name box of both.
8. Click on the Advanced tab at the bottom and make sure window is visible, Command line, and use main session network connection are highlighted.
9. close package editor.
10. click the window tab on the CMUD menu bar select each of the two windows you created docking them as you want.
11. you should now be able to #con in each window and connect to your mud assuming the original package you used had host info set.

You could also set up an alias for each character in the main module having each one be in one central class. When you type the alias it would create two temp autolog triggers then send #con to the window you use the alias in. After you fire two aliases the main autolog class could be disabled. Any new settings you create from the command line would be in the window they were created in. I always just dragged them to the main module before closing CMUD down.
CMUD 3.34
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:22 pm   

Opps I got side tracked while writing up the post and forgot about it. I see you figured out basically the same thing I just posted sorry I was late.
CMUD 3.34
jwbrandon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:44 pm   

Stumbled upon rather than figured out :) I want to try your way though because your way doesn't look like it has the separate package files to deal with... I'll see in a minute.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: