Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ArjenJ
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:10 pm   

[3.26] #FIND sets map location to random room

My maps are like 8 years old and were originally made in zMud. I have had some troubles every now and than to keep using them but this time I can't get the #find command to work properly. Whenever I use it the current location seems to be switched to a random spot on my map (apparently random, but same spot every time I use #find while in the same room in the mud though)

I got the feeling that the mapper is "not" trying to match the roomnames but is trying to match the roomnumber in the GMCP of Achaea (the mud I play) with the roomnumbers in my old map. I have tried switching off the "use vNum to match rooms", but this does not help.

Anybody know how I get the mapper to try to match the roomnames again?
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:21 pm   

Actually it states in the help file that #FIND compares the room descriptions.

Quote:
In the second command format (without parameters), it finds the current location on the map. Issues the MUD Look command and compares the current MUD room description with the map database and sets the map location to the matching room.

ATCP and GMCP do not send descriptions sadly. What I do to find my current location is just #teleport to the current room number I am in, but right now there is a bug where you can't use the vNums or %roommode(0). You can teleport to the roomkey though I am sure.

If your maps are 8 years old, you need to update them anyway. Achaea has completely changed many times over in the last 8 years. A lot of the room names are not even the same.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:42 pm   

#FIND is either broke (ie, being intercepted by GMCP detection routines) or has been intentionally changed (ie, to allow GMCP to make the detection instead). In either case, using the functionality will result in the location being put into the (first?) room that has a matching vnum as what is currently in the %gmcp variable. This room probably will not have any name, description, or exit even remotely similar to the room you are actually in according to the game if said rooms were created without a vnum value.

You will have to fix this by literally rewalking the entire map, but doing so is quite seamless so you don't have to delete anything or engage in extra steps to fix anything.

1)put the mapper in SAFE speedwalking mode
2)put the mapper in EXPLORE mode (you need to be able to make changes to the room data)
3)start moving around in the game (probably should avoid using speedwalks to places that require moving to rooms not yet updated).
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:14 pm   

#FIND is broken in v3.26. It's already fixed for the next version. In 3.27 #FIND will properly use the vNum sent via GMCP and will still work for non-GMCP muds.
ArjenJ
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:33 pm   

oldguy2 wrote:
If your maps are 8 years old, you need to update them anyway. Achaea has completely changed many times over in the last 8 years. A lot of the room names are not even the same.

Thanks all... @oldguy2: the maps have been updated and expanded during all these years and I have spend an awful lot of time on what I have now and am not likely to ever redo that all over again. That's why I am really hoping #find will work again soon with my old, messy and inconsistent maps.

I'll just wait for the next version and hope for the best I guess. If there could be an option to make #find try to match roomnames only (only working in rooms with an unique name or simply assuming the first room found in the map with the same name, is the current location) this would make it compatible with my maps for sure... No idea though if this would be useful to others as well.
ArjenJ
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:37 pm   

MattLofton wrote:
You will have to fix this by literally rewalking the entire map

And this sounds really scary, knowing how big my maps have grown.
And I am really hoping to avoid this.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:25 pm   

Quote:
And this sounds really scary, knowing how big my maps have grown.
And I am really hoping to avoid this.

True, but the difference between having a map with correct vNums from GMCP and having an old inconsistent map is like night and day. Especially on a MUD like Achaea that is tricky to map normally. With GMCP properly working, you basically *never* get lost on your map.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: