Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
deathkitty
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:11 pm   

How to Upgrade to CMud v3 (upgrade raging stuff)

Just let CMUD update itself, Stupidly.

Got told my legitly bought licence is invalid and you're on trial version of software you must upgrade to continue using blabla. Very aggressive.

Now read up on this thing you are doing on here.

Just one point, it would be nice if you had told us when we were buying CMUD originally that we were not actually buying it and that you would be charging us again when you released the full version, it's really quite bad that the worst people hit by this are the people that supported you earlier on with CMUD e.g. 3 years etc, past the 2 year limit you are setting...

So yeah, you are basically saying we have to buy the program all over again? I don't think the changes warrant it at the moment especially since the new trigger wizard just gets in the way and there's no option to change it to default open in Script Text mode it seems, but even if it did I don't think I would because of the way that the purchase page mentioned nothing that you would be doing something like this later, basically saying "oh, that wasn't actually the real CMUD, here it is, want to pay for it now?" It's just annoying, feels dishonest like we've been nickel-and-dimed for "DLC" like with computer games, and I bet I'm not the only one that feels this way -- just few can be bothered to write complaints most just switch to a different product without bothering to comment, this probably won't change anything but thought you should know...

If it was a whole new program sure but all it is is just fixes for bugs and minor improvements really, something that other companies don't ask you to pay for... I know you're not a big company like Valve or Microsoft etc but it's not nice to have this kind of stuff pop up on your screen basically accusing you of not having bought the software you just downloaded, which was an update for a program you bought legitimately, and I think you may lose customers over this if you use the same brute force treatment with the larger amount of customers who don't visit these forums, aren't already doing free QA for you etc too... Do you remember ages ago I asked you to delete my username etc because of a stalker? Yeah it's been that long, I even had zmud bought for me too back when I was at school. I remember even forwarding on info about cracks to you to try help.

Just bleh. I was not amused at how long it took you to get CMUD to work with Discworld MUD "because I've never played it" (when it's one of the ones consistently in the top 5 of MUD website rankings like Top Mud Sites) and apparently not even able to find the time to log in to it ONCE just once to see the issues yourself leaving customers to do all the fault finding, this just feels like the last straw really, I didn't buy "CMUD version x" or whatever I bought "CMUD"... sticking an extra number on it doesn't make it a different program...

If you can honestly say the money situation is that bad that you need to do this I can understand, but it really wasn't on to not tell people you would do this later when they bought it. Otherwise could have just stayed with zmud til you were ready to release it...
orphean
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:44 pm   

I know you're frustrated but the fact that a CMUD license lasts two years was never a secret. Zugg has blogged about, posted about in forums, talked about it in his yearly recap, etc. It's also worth mentioning when you buy CMUD you get CMUD forever. The copy you bought will never stop working. If you want continued updates, which represent continuing work by Zugg, then it seems fair for Zugg to charge a reasonable amount. I can't see how this is different from virtually any other software company. I don't get new editions of Microsoft Office for free simply because I purchased a previous version, but I do get a discount to upgrade. Do you really think Microsoft completely rewrote Office 2007 when they released Office 2010? You have to pay for bug fixes and feature enhancements! :)

Additionally, Zugg is also offering a fairly steep discount for existing customers to upgrade. I paid far less for my CMUD Pro upgrade than I did for the product originally.

I do agree that I wish the pace of CMUD development was a bit quicker paced. There are a lot of features we've all been talking about for years now that simply aren't here yet. I'm not going to make excuses for Zugg on this count but even regarding extenuating circumstances it remains an issue. Also, it would be nice if CMUD could see if you had a license in the past on upgrade and give those users a different, more positive, experience. It sounds like this quite upset you.

All in all, you have to do what you feel is right. I prefer CMUD, I prefer Zuggsoft, and I've put my money where my mouth is on this count.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:01 am   

deathkitty wrote:
Just one point, it would be nice if you had told us when we were buying CMUD originally that we were not actually buying it and that you would be charging us again when you released the full version, it's really quite bad that the worst people hit by this are the people that supported you earlier on with CMUD e.g. 3 years etc, past the 2 year limit you are setting...

It was never hidden, nor did Zugg fail to mention it. When CMUD first came out, Zugg had said that CMUD is a completely new program, and that the licensing system is going to change. The license is good for two years at least, or until a major public release is made. CMUD has been out for longer than 2 years now, and with this major release of 3.xx, he stated that it was going to be first time you'll need to purchase a new license.

He even has stickied the announcements on it.

Yes, 3.xx is still in Beta, but it's to the point where he can release a public version here shortly. Read everything before complaining.

Charneus
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:11 am   

deathkitty wrote:
Just let CMUD update itself, Stupidly.

Got told my legitly bought licence is invalid and you're on trial version of software you must upgrade to continue using blabla. Very aggressive.

Now read up on this thing you are doing on here.

So yeah, you are basically saying we have to buy the program all over again? I don't think the changes warrant it at the moment especially since the new trigger wizard just gets in the way and there's no option to change it to default open in Script Text mode it seems, but even if it did I don't think I would because of the way that the purchase page mentioned nothing that you would be doing something like this later, basically saying "oh, that wasn't actually the real CMUD, here it is, want to pay for it now?" It's just annoying, feels dishonest like we've been nickel-and-dimed for "DLC" like with computer games, and I bet I'm not the only one that feels this way -- just few can be bothered to write complaints most just switch to a different product without bothering to comment, this probably won't change anything but thought you should know...

If it was a whole new program sure but all it is is just fixes for bugs and minor improvements really, something that other companies don't ask you to pay for... I know you're not a big company like Valve or Microsoft etc but it's not nice to have this kind of stuff pop up on your screen basically accusing you of not having bought the software you just downloaded, which was an update for a program you bought legitimately, and I think you may lose customers over this if you use the same brute force treatment with the larger amount of customers who don't visit these forums, aren't already doing free QA for you etc too... Do you remember ages ago I asked you to delete my username etc because of a stalker? Yeah it's been that long, I even had zmud bought for me too back when I was at school. I remember even forwarding on info about cracks to you to try help.

Just bleh. I was not amused at how long it took you to get CMUD to work with Discworld MUD "because I've never played it" (when it's one of the ones consistently in the top 5 of MUD website rankings like Top Mud Sites) and apparently not even able to find the time to log in to it ONCE just once to see the issues yourself leaving customers to do all the fault finding, this just feels like the last straw really, I didn't buy "CMUD version x" or whatever I bought "CMUD"... sticking an extra number on it doesn't make it a different program...

If you can honestly say the money situation is that bad that you need to do this I can understand, but it really wasn't on to not tell people you would do this later when they bought it. Otherwise could have just stayed with zmud til you were ready to release it...

Your entire argument is invalidated by this page which includes the following text:

Quote:
CMUD is the fastest and most versatile MUD/Telnet client for PC/Windows.

This sophisticated GUI client supports multiple character windows (multiplaying), aliases, triggers with complex pattern matching including regular expressions, macro keys, variables, speedwalking, spell checking, automatic map generation, equipment database, graphical buttons, extensive built-in and user-defined functions, ANSI color, Simutronics game support, VT100 support, MSP, MXP, MCP, MCCP support, GSL, Pueblo emulation, word wrapping, alarms, and online help.

Features unique to CMUD include a shared scripting library, compiled scripts, and Lua scripting. Free upgrades for 2 years.

Requires Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista.

It is not Zugg's fault if you do not read licenses or disclaimers before purchasing products.

It is also expected IMO since the MUD Community has far less players than it once had which equates to Zuggsoft having less potential customers it is obvious that he needs to somehow make more money per customer than he previously did to make a living.
GeneralStonewall
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:27 am   

You are still able to use the version you purchased. It's not like your license is suddenly invalid, it just doesn't work for the latest release, which is the accumulation of years of work that Zugg needs to get paid for.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:17 am   

deathkitty wrote:

If it was a whole new program sure but all it is is just fixes for bugs and minor improvements really, something that other companies don't ask you to pay for... I know you're not a big company like Valve or Microsoft etc but it's not nice to have this kind of stuff pop up on your screen basically accusing you of not having bought the software you just downloaded, which was an update for a program you bought legitimately, and I think you may lose customers over this if you use the same brute force treatment with the larger amount of customers who don't visit these forums, aren't already doing free QA for you etc too...

Did you have a beta installed before this one or was it the public version you were using?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:47 pm   

Also since the v3.x Beta version installer displays the following text at the beginning:
Quote:
RELEASE NOTES for CMUD v3.25 BETA
==================================

**IMPORTANT** This version of CMUD requires a NEW v3 LICENSE KEY. See the topic in the CMUD Beta Forum on how to upgrade your existing license to a new v3 key.

But yeah, apparently nobody reads any of this stuff. I personally thought I was being pretty generous about not charging for CMUD v3 until now. I could have started charging for it a year ago. Geez, no matter what you do somebody will get upset.

It isn't even like his v3 CMUD beta stopped working...I even reset the 30-day trial so you could keep using it until you got your license updated.
Quote:
I don't think the changes warrant it at the moment especially since the new trigger wizard just gets in the way and there's no option to change it to default open in Script Text mode

Did you even notice the checkbox in the new wizard that says: "Hide wizard by default", or the Menu option in the Editor menu that says "Use Script Wizard" or the sticky post in this forum named: About the new Script Wizard and Pattern Wizard that specifically talks about this? No, because apparently you never read anything. There is plenty of information on this and definitely easy ways to disable the wizard by default.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: