Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:27 pm   

[3.24 Pro] Mapper issues continue

Some issues I've noticed:

1) I can not get the map to follow me anymore. I have to manually use #teleport for the map to center on me now.
2) The names of rooms collected from GMCP are sometimes modified based on what elevation I'm at but Cmud isn't compensating for that. For example I could be "Flying above" or "In the trees above", or there could be (road) which isn't part of the room's proper name. GMCP sends it all so you know if you are on a road or flying and such, but Cmud doesn't comprehend these as a single room, but sees them each as a unique room. There needs to be some way I can modify the room name Cmud has collected to correct for elevation so it knows what the base room name is.
dbosst
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:45 pm   

I haven't tried it in 3.24 yet but in 3.23 this type of stuff works ok for me... but I have my own room confirmation scripts...

$name = %concat(%trim(%gmcp.Room.Info.Name),".")
$name = %subregex($name,"^Flying above\s*","")
$name = %subregex($name,"^In the trees above\s*","")
room_name = $name

I have something like this in my GMCP script for when I didn't have vnums for certain rooms, but in Achaea, those rooms Trees or Flying above, do have the same VNUMs according to the GMCP so CMUD should be accounting for it...

I will try it out in 3.24 later to see if I have the problem your describing...
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:57 pm   

If the MUD uses a different vNum, then it *is* a different room and there is no way to combine those rooms into a single room within the CMUD mapper. If they have the same vNum, then they will be treated as a single room. If the "RealNum" flag is set for the room and the "Use vNum for speedwalking" option is set, then CMUD completely ignores the room name when speedwalking.

As dbosst mentioned, if you need to modify the room name to remove the "Flying above", you can add your own "#TAG name" command to your GMCP trigger to handle that. When creating a room, CMUD is always going to use the room name given by GMCP and there is no way for it to "magically" remove the "Flying above". Although you can always email Achaea and ask them if they will treat these rooms differently and send the base room name instead of the full name. Maybe they can add an additional Room.Info field for the "flying" part.

As far as (1), my guess is that your mapper configuration has gotten messed up because of the last beta. I suggest turning off GMCP and then doing a normal map Config/Reconfig. Once you have that working again, then you can turn GMCP back on. I think right now the Config Wizard will not create a normal/old map configuration when GMCP is turned on.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:01 am   

With the recent changes no matter what I do I can't get it to follow me around unless I'm moving through GMCP confirmed rooms. I have all the tagging in there with #OK and #Prompt so it should be moving me in slow walk mode. I've never had this much trouble getting it to follow me. Additionally I cannot get it to update the map rooms with the real vnum nor to change the flag to indicate it is a good vnum.

I've reached my frustration limit on gmcp. I find I'm getting frustrated a lot in my free time and that's not what I want for my free time. I'm going to return to a non-beta version.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:58 am   

Reed I think it is mainly Achaea causing the problems. I know your frustration though. They can't even send a room description through GMCP for gosh sakes but you can actually get them to send a list of all items in a room through GMCP according to the IRE website. How stupid is that. I'm not sure if Zugg has implemented that but I hope so. Cmud has to send Char.Items.Contents with the room num to get the list. Does Cmud do that Zugg? Who knows if Achaea has that implemented though. They also won't even break down the Char.Vitals or at least they had not the last time I checked. IRE stated they would leave it up to each individual game to do so... Also I mapped the entirety of the mainland and the next time I am moving around they had already changed a lot of room names in various places so my map wouldn't follow me either. These are very subtle changes never reported as well like a simple change in spelling or a changed word that I never noticed at first. I was hoping that these new changes with GMCP would automatically fill in the correct vNum and Room Name even if it did change while I am walking around. I'm not saying that is your problem of course, but it could possibly be an issue?

Besides just switch back to ATCP for now. Version 2.37 won't even work with your stuff I doubt.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:41 pm   

Try not to get *too* frustrated with this. Remember that we are not only still BETA TESTING here but this new protocol is NEW on both the Client and Servers and people are still working out the kinks. Give IRE a break for even supporting GMCP in the first place.

IRE has been very responsive about issues with GMCP if you tell them about it. So let's not start passing false rumors about them. They already split out all of the info from Char.Vitals into a new Char.StatusVars message. See their documentation: http://www.ironrealms.com/gmcp-doc

To support Char.Items you would add that to the list of GMCP Modules in the CMUD Preferences/Protocols page. This will enable support for that GMCP module. Then you use the #SENDGMCP command in CMUD to send the Char.Items.Contents and have a GMCP trigger that fires on the return message. CMUD is not going to support these kind of MUD-specific messages internally, but it's really very easy to add them to your own session scripts and do whatever you want with the results.

The bug with the mapper right now is CMUD faults and was reported in another thread. CMUD is not filling in the new vNum values as you walk around...only when you use the #LOOK command. Should be fixed soon.

Regarding switching back to ATCP: Keep in mind that IRE is probably going to discontinue ATCP at some point.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:01 pm   

My apologies. I suppose I have become really very frustrated with Achaea in general and their actions over the last few years. Perhaps 7 years in a game is too long. I don't know. I still don't see why or what is the big deal with adding the description to the GMCP room info. It is room info after all. If I am mapping everything with GMCP, and I have to then create different triggers/scripts just to get the room description it seems silly. I'm also not starting false rumors. I said the last time I had used/checked GMCP they had not split out the vitals and left it a string. I started using it very early remember? Smile I looked to the GMCP doc as well. The StatusVars doesn't give the health, mana, endurance, and willpower and their maximum values. It only provides race, guild, and stuff like that.

It still says:
Quote:
Char.Vitals
* Basic character attributes such as health, mana, etc.
* Message body is a string containing several variables separated by spaces
* Each variable is in the format name:cur/max
* Example: Char.Vitals "H:4500/4800 M:1200/2500 E:15000/16000 W:14000/15000 NL:10/100"
* Interpretation of the variables is game specific

Thus it is still being sent as a single string (last I checked).

StatusVars shows:
Quote:
example: Char.StatusVars { "level": "Level", "race": "Race", "guild": "Guild" }

Which has nothing to do with the health/healthMax and so on. I'm also not really complaining about IRE itself. I specifically mentioned Achaea and as a really long time player I'll gripe about them if I want to. Laughing
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:16 pm   

Quote:
I still don't see why or what is the big deal with adding the description to the GMCP room info.

My guess is that they are concerned with the bandwidth usage. I had proposed a way using GMCP to send data like this and then use a "Compose" message to tell the Client to also echo it to the screen so that MUDs would not need to send the same data twice (once for the screen and once for GMCP) but it got shouted down in the mayhem on mudstandards.org. But this is exactly what it could have been used for.

You can always email IRE with your concerns and suggestions.

Quote:
I'm also not starting false rumors. I said the last time I had used/checked GMCP they had not split out the vitals and left it a string. I started using it very early remember? Smile I looked to the GMCP doc as well. The StatusVars doesn't give the health, mana, endurance, and willpower and their maximum values. It only provides race, guild, and stuff like that.

Sorry about that. I thought they told me they had already split out this data. I've sent them an email to see what the status of this is.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:54 pm   

Yes. I had read the whole revision thread previously on Mudstandards.org. It was lovely... I couldn't help but think of things like the old browser wars and how every browser wanted to display things differently and hacking workarounds for IE and so on or people developing their site for a specific browser. I will simply say that standards are a good thing. I still think you all could/should work on it further and perhaps improve it even more or make other improvements to move MUDs into this century even more.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:58 pm   

Confirmed that IRE has not split out the hp,mana,etc yet. Hopefully they'll get around to it soon.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:31 pm   

Here is what I just got back from IRE:
Quote:
this is implemented and live
now. I tried to stay compatible with the Aardwolf's implementation,
messages look something like:
Char.Vitals { "hp": "4500", "maxhp": "4800", "mp": "1200", "maxmp":
"2500", "ep": "15000", "maxep": "16000", "wp": "14000", "maxwp":
"15000", "nl": "10", "string": "H:4500/4800 M:1200/2500 E:15000/16000
W:14000/15000 NL:10/100" }

We are always sending all the variables, but the format allows sending
only the changed ones, if desired. The gmcp-doc file has been updated
as well.

Right now, the new version is only running on the Imperian game, the
others should update within the next few days. If there are any
problems, please let me know.

So you can use this on Imperian now and hopefully the other IRE games really soon.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:22 pm   

Very nice, but I wonder why they are bothering with sending the entire string still?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:48 pm   

Probably because people who wrote scripts for ATCP that parse it still want it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: