Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
Badmonster
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:08 pm   

error opening pcre 78.dll library

I just downloaded beta version 3.22 and I get this error message every time cmud starts. Any thoughts? Rebooting has not fixed the issue.
Anaristos
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:08 am   

This bug is almost as old as cmud. I am not sure whether it is on the server side or Windows side. It certainly happened under Vista, though I haven't had it happen under Windows 7. Several things I have done to get cmud to run. A) Re-started cmud. This usually works the first or second retry. B) Delete the .dll in program files and then put it back in (cut/paste it). This has had success. C) Re-start windows. This is a last result and usually also has success. I am guessing the problem is with Windows because of B and C, but as I said, I have no way to really tell. One thing that I've contemplated, but not done, is to move the .dll to the GAC. Perhaps, cmud could do this at installation time.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:48 am   

I'm not sure what a GAC is,so I would be afraid to experiment there.
I may give up and wait for the next version because nothing has worked, including uninstalling and reinstalling.
Interesting to note, that I can't update from the find new versions. It downloads but when you click the button to run the browser closes and never reopens.
Maybe it's because I'm running 64 bit.
But either way, I'm going to have to live with the public version 2.37 I think.
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:43 pm   

The updates often fail to run because of the Vista and Win7 UAC permissions. Depends upon how your system is set up. It's normal to need to download and install from the link on the web site.

Never seen the issue where rebooting didn't fix this problem with pcre78.dll. I'm not sure what the "GAC" is that Anaristos is referring to either. But you might want to search your computer for any other PCRE*.DLL file. Maybe you are running some other program that uses it's own PCRE DLL file that is interfering with CMUD.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to reproduce this on any of the Vista or Win7 computers here, so it has to be something related to your computer setup or some other software running in the background that is interfering with CMUD.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:26 pm   

You should also look in your CMUD installation directory and make sure the PCRE78.DLL file is present and that you have proper access to it. If this file looks ok, you might want to try deleting this file, then reinstall CMUD. This will force CMUD to replace the DLL file with the correct version.

The nice thing about trying this is that if Windows has the DLL file locked by some other program, it won't let you delete it. I don't think the CMUD installer will replace the existing file if it is the same version. So deleting the file will force the installer to replace it. My guess is that something (maybe a virus?) corrupted the DLL file and now Windows cannot load it.
Badmonster
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:12 pm   

That didn't work, oddly.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:14 pm   

The computer is a few weeks old, and scanned daily, full system scan weekly, and a good antivirus. That's not definitive, of course, but it leaves me feeling confident.
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:42 pm   

Not sure what else to suggest then. I'm stumped.

CMUD is just calling the Windows LoadLibrary API to load the DLL. It first tries to load the DLL in the CMUD.EXE folder directly with a full path. If that fails, then it lets Windows search for the DLL itself by loading "pcre78.dll" without any path specified. If that fails, you get the error message. Nothing more CMUD can do about this.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:46 pm   

One other thing: try renaming the PCRE78.dll file to all lower case: pcre78.dll and see if that makes any difference. The LoadLibrary API is *supposed* to be case insensitive, but who knows.
Badmonster
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:48 pm   

Thanks, I'll try that next.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:57 pm   

Nope. No go.
Oh, did I mention that my system is 64 bit? Could that be a factor?
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:01 am   

Nope, 64-bit doesn't matter. My test systems here are also 64-bit.
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:11 am   

Rebooting never fixed it for me, but I found in the past that other programs I had installed caused the error if they were running when I attempted to open cmud.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:48 pm   

GAC is Global Assembly Cache and is for .NET Assemblies so I wouldn't go trying to put it in there.
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:17 pm   

All I can think of is trying to find some other PCRE DLL files on the Internet with versions >= 7.8 and then rename them to PCRE78.DLL and replace the file in the CMUD directory to see if you can find one that works better.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:46 am   

Badmonster, you seem to be indicating that the pcre76.dll used by CMud2.37 does not exhibit the same problem. Is that the case?

Also you seem to be the only person to ever report the problem as occurring with absolute 100% consistency, can I use you as a guinea pig to test some things?
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:15 pm   

Vijilante wrote:
Badmonster, you seem to be indicating that the pcre76.dll used by CMud2.37 does not exhibit the same problem. Is that the case?

Also you seem to be the only person to ever report the problem as occurring with absolute 100% consistency, can I use you as a guinea pig to test some things?

Used to be 100% consistent for me as well, I believe I reformatted windows and it hasn't reappeared since.
robecks
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:34 pm   

it will reoccure 100% of the time if when you started in with the new computer you are running AVAST IS ... i run it so when i have to start up cmud i have to kill avast run cmud then run avast again ... no matter what i try it will not let cmud load even if i tell it to ignore cmud, and all the files in cmud ... only thing i can think of
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:35 pm   

Are you using the latest version of Avast? I have Avast on all of my computers and have never had any conflict with CMUD with it.
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:21 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Are you using the latest version of Avast? I have Avast on all of my computers and have never had any conflict with CMUD with it.

He said Avast IS. That's the the upper tier internet security suite they offer. I do believe that was my problem as well, I am now running their normal antivirus with no problems.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:59 pm   

Oh, I missed that. Didn't know what "IS" was. Interesting that their IS version causes this trouble. Sounds like they are doing a false-positive on the Armadillo copy protection used in CMUD. Since this is used in a *lot* of applications, I'm a bit surprised. McAfee had that problem years ago too, although it didn't cause this DLL side effect.

The next update of CMUD uses a newer PCRE library, so it will also be interesting to see if it still fails.
robecks
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:28 pm   

updating the package library seemed to make it so i dont need to shut down my antivirus, its good to not have to go through all those steps
Badmonster
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:34 am   

Vijilante wrote:

Yes on both counts.
Badmonster
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:35 am   

I'm using Bit Defender internet security.

As far as computers go, I'm functionally illiterate. I don't know how to update my package library.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:44 pm   

Have you tried the 3.24 version to see if the new PCRE810.DLL has the same problem?

To update the Package Library, click on the Library button in the CMUD toolbar, then click the Get Updates button in the package library.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: