Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Erasmus
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:08 pm   

Button Update/Flicker/Lag Issue

I remember Zugg posted recently a lengthy post explaining why CMUD is lagging when buttons are updated, but I can't for the life of me find the post. I remember the issue has to do with buttons update when the value of the variable is changed which can cause a button to update several times if the variable is a database variable that has multiple changes at the same time.

Can anyone point me to this post?

Is it best practice to set each variable associated with a button as a "regular" variable, and not a string list or database record? If I have a gauge for health that displays current and max health, and the variable set with those values is a 2 key database variable will the gauge update 4 times, or just 2 if both values change?
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:57 pm   

Yes, you are remembering the gist of the post (I don't have a link to it offhand). And yes, it is best practice to use regular (single-value) variables for buttons, for exactly this reason.

In the situation you describe, the gauge would update two times if both values are changed independently. Each key/value pair is a single item in the db variable. If you add a key/value pair, it is one change. If you change the value of an existing key, it is one change. If you delete a key/value pair, it is one change. On the other hand, there is a way to make the variable update only one time. This would be done by copying the variable into a local variable, updating the all the keys in the local variable, then setting the global variable equal to the updated local variable.
Martaigne
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:15 pm   

Wow, this question helped me too. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: