Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
sproingie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:59 pm   

Couple of installation questions

First, is a license for CMud per-install or per-user? I'd hate to not be able to install it on my PC and my laptop both.

Secondly, is CMud portable, i.e. will it run off a USB stick, or does it have install-time registry dependencies? Even if some prefs aren't 100% portable, I'd still prefer to run it off the stick if possible.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:53 pm   

Your license is good for up to 3 computers. It is a per-user license, not a per-computer license. So your PC and laptop is fine.

CMUD does *not* support running from a USB stick. It must be installed on the target machine and requires Admin privs to install. So yes, it has registry dependencies.

You *can* keep your data files on the USB drive (see the User Data Files location question in the installer). But CMUD is not intended for use on "public" machines.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:15 am   

1)per-user, but there's some leeway given for families. It's ok, say, to install CMud 3 times on the 3 computers your family shares but if each user has their own computer you should technically buy licenses for each. It is DEFINITELY not ok to attempt a group rate between you and your 6 friends so you can cover the 24 computers between you all so that when any of you are visiting and bored you can just use CMud to play. Similarly, but perhaps less obviously so, it's not ok to buy just one license for all 20 computers you have available in your internet cafe (not sure if Zugg ever encountered this sort of situation before, however).

2)The program itself is not, since there are things that require admin-level clearance to operate. You can keep your data there, however, so you can bounce around among each computer that has cmud installed on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: