Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
GeneralStonewall
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:02 am   

[3.12-3.14a] BUG: Unable to disable ` as a special character.

It seems that I'm unable to disable ` as a special character in the scripting options. I assume this is the right place to disable it, but it seems that the only way to truly get around it is to disable parsing. Adding ~ before hand doesn't do anything either.

Last edited by GeneralStonewall on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:58 pm   

The ` character (the character on the same key as the ~ character) is called the "Line Escape" character and is listed in the Special Characters preferences screen just like other special characters. It can be changed or disabled just like others. It is only parsed as a special character when it is used as the first character on a line.

If you are talking about the ' single quote character (on the same key as the " quotes), then that is not a special character.

As usual, if you want more help, you should give us a specific example of the script that isn't working for you.
GeneralStonewall
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:02 pm   

Zugg wrote:
The ` character (the character on the same key as the ~ character) is called the "Line Escape" character and is listed in the Special Characters preferences screen just like other special characters. It can be changed or disabled just like others. It is only parsed as a special character when it is used as the first character on a line.

I am talking about the ` character. Like I said, disabling it did nothing. I'm not using it in a script, but in the command line.

Edit:

Actually it looks like none of the special characters can be disabled for the command line. Is this intentional? It seems like ~ should work on the ` character at least.
GeneralStonewall
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:50 am   

Bump.

Basically you can't use ~` to escape out of a ` at the beginning of a line in the command line. Additionally it seems the command line doesn't adhere to disabled special characters.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:07 am   

I can confirm the second sentence, although it looks like turning off parsing does force the commandline to behave (not sure any of that is a bug, however). I can escape ` just fine from the command line, though.

Does it change for you if you do it within the default session?
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:47 am   

When I enter ~`test into the command line it'll send test to the mud instead of `test. This happens in new settings, and with nothing changed in the default package.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:30 pm   

I can confirm and refine the problem. The following is done on a blank session.

On the command line, "~`foobar" produces "foobar". Using any other special character works fine (e.g. "~#foobar" produces "#foobar").

If all special characters are disabled in Options:
"`foobar" will produce "foobar".
"#foobar" still acts as a Cmud command.
"!foobar" still acts as a history command.
All other special characters might be properly disabled, but it's hard to tell without running a session.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:53 pm   

Added to bug list.
GeneralStonewall
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:52 pm   

Bumpage, bug still exists in 3.14a. As stated in another thread, this is an issue for those that use mudbot.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:40 pm   

Yes, it is still on the bug list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: