Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
danleh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:47 am   

Manual door-opening with mapper?

Hi!

I know the mapper has the ability to automatically open doors but I need to manually open/close doors myself without any automation.

I tried removing the open door command completely from Map Preferences > Strings & Doors but I get the following malfunction:
If I try to walk from room X to room Y and there is a closed door between my mapper always passes this door but my character in the MUD is not.

I thought the mapper would check if I reached my destination with the room name but it seems that's not working.
So, I was wondering if some kind soul would instruct me how to implement this door control mechanism so my map is in sync. Question =)
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:02 pm   

It depends on whether you do fastwalk, safewalk, or slowwalk. If you are set to fastwalk mode, the map location will move regardless of any output from the mud. In safe and slow mode, the mapper should wait for a #OK to move, which is automatically triggered by either the room name or first line of the room description, depending on your settings. Or #OK can be sent from one of your own triggers. So, if your mapper is set to fast mode, simply change it to safe or slow. If it is already in safe or slow mode, you may have to give more details and experiment to see what is causing the problem. You will probably also have to put in triggers which catch the message that a door stopped you, sending a #NODIR command.
danleh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:18 am   

Thanks for answering Rahab!

I tried the #NODIR and #OK commands out but they didn't work that well for me. I use fast mode.

However thanks to you pointing me in the right direction I found out that triggering "You walk right into the door." with a #TELEPORT RoomNumber on a room-by-room basis works extremely well.

Would have been sweet to have one universal trigger that just catches those messages all over the map and teleports you back to the location you got that message.
I don't know how viable that idea is though, due to fast walking and trying to figure out exactly where that message popped up=)
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:30 am   

Would have been sweet to have one universal trigger that just catches those messages all over the map and teleports you back to the location you got that message.

The easiest way would be to do as Rahab suggests and set your speed to Slow or Safe. Safe is just as fast as fast mode but is more likely to keep your map spot in the correct room as it checks against the room name to make sure you actually moved. Fast mode will always make the assumption that you correctly got to your destination unless you tell it otherwise.

Then you can use a single #NODIR trigger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: