Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
cromaine
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:52 pm   

Mapper problems.

Can't use the mapper. Says error opening Avalon.mdb. I was using the beta, but uninstalled it and installed 2.37. Can I just start a fresh map?
Thanks.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:22 pm   

Were you having trouble with the map in the beta version? When you converted to 2.37, did you use the MapConvert program to convert your map to the 2.37 format? I suspect your problem is that you forgot to convert your map.

One of the main projects in the 3.xx version was a complete rewrite of the mapper. This required a new format for the map database. The map in versions 1.xx and 2.xx had an extension of .mdb, while the map in 3.xx is .dbm. Simply changing the extension name will not be sufficient--the contents are in a different format. When you upgrade from 2.xx to 3.xx, Cmud will automatically convert your .mdb map to the new format when you load an old character. There is no automatic conversion if you downgrade from 3.xx to 2.xx. If you convert from 3.xx to 2.xx, you need to use the utility MapConvert.exe to convert your map to the old format.

For details about the MapConvert program, see this posting: http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34544
cromaine
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:49 am   

I got the map database converted back to .mdb. So it's kind of working, but not very well.

Right now, the mapper is generally okay about following me around, but I can't create anything new. That is, either by automapping, OR by manually adding rooms. For example, if I use Edit|Add Room, then click on the map, I get a new room, but I cannot select it and edit its properties. If I use automapper, I can walk in a new direction and it will create a new room, but again I can't edit the new room in any way and it does not give the new room a name, and the map stops following me.

Any ideas what may be going wrong, or at least some ideas about how to start diagnosing the problem?

Thanks.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:07 am   

Does the mapper work correctly in a new session and new map file? If it does, this means you probably have some conversion-related or even pre-conversion malformed data that is probably tripping up CMud. ReedN's cmud_map_doctor perlscript utility can fix data-driven problems, so I'd try using that.
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:08 pm   

That helped. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: