Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Loftaris
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:11 pm   

Keyboard problems

Has anyone else had this problem, and do you know how to fix it without restarting the computer...

It happens on Windows XP, Vista, and 7, so it`s not an OS problem.
I`ve only really noticed it with CMud Beta (any version, atm I`m using the current version)

It didn`t happen until I loaded CMud.

My computer has been on for at least a week without a restart (will happen after a fresh restart too.) Everything was fine, and since I haven`t been playing my mud lately, didn`t launch CMud until just now.

What happens, is a couple of my keys will change their character map. Most notably the question mark is now É .. and the apostraphe (as you can see above) is now ` instead of facing left, it`s facing right.

This only happens when I launch CMud, and it affects every program I use, so it`s directly mapping the windows key registry...

Thanks.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:14 pm   

Are you using a basic QWERTY style keyboard? I have never heard of such an issue.
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:15 pm   

wow that was lightning quick. it`s just your regular ol laptop keyboard, nothing special. happened on 2 different laptops too...
Loftaris
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:21 pm   

I did transfer my scripts, triggers, settings etc from one laptop to another, so its possible I have a broken alias or trigger or something in there... But I have no idea what to look for. Ive never changed any keys other than the function keys...

ok hey I just realized something... it switched my keys to the alternate keys on my keyboard.. (like how if you hit (FN) and F7 on a laptop itll turn the screen brighter, well it made it so its using the blue colored part of those keys..

interesting...
Loftaris
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:35 pm   

Hey, I found the problem....

Here are some things I've figured out, in case it helps anyone track down this problem in the future.

A search online made me realize it may be limited to HP laptops, because both my laptops are HP.

It also appears to be limited to the Canadian laptops, or at least these blue keys are french characters.

To turn it on/off, you have to hold left CTRL+SHIFT and RIGHT SHIFT all at the same time (L-CTRL+SHIFT+SHIFT).

There is no such macro or trigger or alias that I've ever used that I've had to do that before, so it wasn't by accident. And, it happened when I launched CMud, but I didn't even play. I logged in to see who was on, and logged off..

Thanks Shalimar, you inadvertently helped me realize the problem!
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:16 pm   

Well... glad its resolved.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:01 pm   

Hmm, never had this problem, but I have always found it annoying that when cmud launches it by default turns on numlock. Especially since my laptop doesn't have a numpad so with it on:

The string of text in question.

will be written as:

The str5ng 6f text 5n q4est56n.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:26 pm   

Fizban1216 wrote:
Hmm, never had this problem, but I have always found it annoying that when cmud launches it by default turns on numlock. Especially since my laptop doesn't have a numpad so with it on:

The string of text in question.

will be written as:

The str5ng 6f text 5n q4est56n.

That's why there's an option to turn it off. ;) Just open up preferences and it'll be under User Interface/Command line. The second box down is 'Activate Numlock'. By unticking that, you will never have CMUD turn it on again while on your laptop. :)

Charneus
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:07 pm   

Loftaris if you do not need to switch between keyboard layouts you can turn off the hot keys sequence for this in [Control Panel -> Region and Language settings -> Keyboards and Languages -> Change Keyboards -> Advanced Key settings] or on the general tab just remove any layouts you don't need
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: