Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
N86eAL
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:03 pm   

Using CMUD on different locations?

Hello there

I am an avid mudder who bought CMUD and like it a lot. I have my configuration that I need to be able to play, almost at least, but it is locked away at home.
Looking how I work at a place where I sit at a computer all day long, I feel that I want my configured MUD experience at work too, but I am not sure how to best to that.

Some of my friends use TF, where they are connection to a server and therefore acquiring their setup without any fuss at all. I am stuck with using a trial version.
What can I do in this situation? Sure, I could buy another license but will it be the exact same price, reduced one if you already own one license since before?

The best thing would be to be able to have it on a memory stick that I can take along when I am moving, but that would be like dreaming I guess.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:25 pm   

You can install your license on more than one computer (home/work/laptop). When installing CMUD you can point it to your USB drive when prompted for the location of your Data Files. But that will require having the USB drive plugged in to play CMUD.

But you will need to actually install CMUD on the computer. There is no way to just run CMUD from a USB drive. CMUD is not intended for shared computers, so be sure you don't install it to a public computer.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:32 pm   

Make sure to get your IT department involved. At minimum, they will be able to tell you if you are allowed or able to play games/use certain websites and if so they can help you get set up. Doing so makes you an accounted-for breach through the net-security. Trying to sneak through or not letting the proper people know can get you fired.
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:11 pm   

It would be cool if cmud let you remotely connect to it via telnet/putty/etc, similar to mudbot. This would alleviate all the requests for portability of cmud
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:59 pm   

I'm not going to be responsible for helping people get around their local network security restrictions. It's a good way to get fired from your job (or school). If you want to remotely control CMUD on a different computer, there are numerious remote connection tools, such as VNC. I have no intention of adding stuff like that to CMUD directly when there are plenty of other solutions.
N86eAL
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:36 pm   

Our company is extremely small, I already have admin rights on my computer so the installing should not be a problem.
Just not sure I understand what you mean with the installing part. I mean, I can just install my CMUD client on two different computers, one at home and one at work,
and there is no fuss about that?

It sounds perfect if it is true.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:29 pm   

Yep, just install CMUD on both computers using the same license. No fuss. As long as you are the owner/user of both computers and both computers won't use CMUD at the same time, there shouldn't be any problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: