Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next
mynameisbear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:40 am   

Automapper with Achaea

When I first began testing out CMUD 2.37 with Achaea at work before purchase, the automapper seemed to work correctly. The autoconfig parser picked out the room name, descrip, etc flawlessly and built the map like it was supposed to.

Now it just does this:

At first I assumed that there were linebreaks but I'd somehow disabled them, but everyone I've talked to on Achaea says the default is no line breaks and there's no way to enable them as far as they know.

What gives? :|
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:42 pm   

I am in the process of adding MXP tags to help the automapper detect these things better. It will be another few days before you see this in Achaea though.
mynameisbear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:36 pm   

Does this mean it will magically start working sometime in the next week or so, or will I have to do something?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:20 pm   

It should just start working for newly-created rooms, yes. For pre-existing rooms, either it's not going to match and CMud will create new rooms or CMud will not recognize movement into those rooms. Either way, you're probably looking at deletion or the use of the #LOOK command/magnifying glass button for each of these old rooms.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:54 pm   

MattLofton wrote:
It should just start working for newly-created rooms, yes. For pre-existing rooms, either it's not going to match and CMud will create new rooms or CMud will not recognize movement into those rooms. Either way, you're probably looking at deletion or the use of the #LOOK command/magnifying glass button for each of these old rooms.

You mean for my map? My map is blank, I only tried CMUD once before purchasing it, and didn't save my map. :)
gamma_ray
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:50 pm   

Off the top of my head, disable weather in the room description (since the weather changes, CMud really hates it) and use Achaea's config to set the wordwrap to 0 (no wrapping from the game).

Make sure you have ATCP enabled, Preferences > Session, make sure ATCP emulation is checked.

Restart CMud and re-run the mapper configuration. Ignore whatever the wizard says and see if it maps a couple of rooms. If the room names and exits are working (should work perfectly with ATCP) and the room description isn't working, you might disable the room description altogether.

If nothing works, use the Debugger to see what's actually being sent and make sure you're getting ATCP data.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:54 pm   

If the weather is integrated into the description such that you can't just neatly #nomap it, you can check the Room Description Changes option. This will give you the pro of having a smoother movement check (ie, changes in weather won't stop you), but at the same time it gives you the con that false/bad movements will be executed fully (ie, rooms created mistakenly) unless you have the situation #nodir'd.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:18 am   

gamma_ray wrote:
Restart CMud and re-run the mapper configuration. Ignore whatever the wizard says and see if it maps a couple of rooms. If the room names and exits are working (should work perfectly with ATCP) and the room description isn't working, you might disable the room description altogether.

Disabling ATCP in the client fixed the parsing problem in the autoconfig, but after autoconfig it still doesn't automap. D'oh.
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:22 pm   

Just an update. Still working on getting the MXP added as well. Probably a few more days.
mynameisbear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:26 pm   

Avasyu wrote:
Just an update. Still working on getting the MXP added as well. Probably a few more days.

No worries. I trust you'll post here when the magic happens?
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:59 pm   

Yeah. It is mostly done, just having a couple issues to work out.
hadar
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:39 pm   

i dont know if this will work for achea or not, but try using the offline and see if it picks it up, i had to do this to get it to pick up my aardwolf rooms
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:53 pm   

Okay, MXP tags are up and running on Imperian. I am going to let them sit there for a couple days and work out any bugs before pushing it out to the other games. Between MXP and ATCP, there should be no problems mapping.

If there are any issues please let me know.
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:59 am   

MXP Rooms tags are now in on Achaea and the other games should have them in the next couple of days as producers can find the time to get them put in.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:38 am   

I believe there is an error in the implementation of the <RExits> tag. It doesn't appear to be terminated properly:
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34574

Also, if I already detect the room name, exits, etc with ATCP, is MXP going to help with anything besides making the exits into clickable items?
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:46 am   

Fixed!
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:00 am   

Thanks for fixing that so fast.

I see you are using: RoomName, RoomExit, and RoomNum.

Any chance you can add the other two RoomDesc and Prompt? Perhaps as an enhancement in the future.
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:22 am   

I see the RDesc being sent in verbose output.

<RNum 1502><RName>Before the entrance to the Tomacula village.</RName>
<RDesc>Isolated and primitive, a small village consisting mostly of simple mud huts stands a short
distance away. The grass here is patchy and scrawny due to the heavy traffic that strides daily to
and from the village. What few plants grow here are wilted due to lack of water. The long, low
bellowing of cows can be heard from somewhere within the village.</RDesc> Someone's magically
preserved letter has been lost here. You may enter the wilderness map from here.
<RExits>You see exits leading <COLOR #0000FF><SEND HREF="north">north</SEND></COLOR> and <COLOR
#0000FF><SEND HREF="south">south</SEND></COLOR>.</RExits>

I am considering doing prompt, but we have not had a huge outcry for it. Heck, we did not have much interest in the Room Tags, but being a map lover, I HAD to do it. This is mostly due to the fact that ATCP sends the info, and that a lot of people use mudbot, which kills any MXP output from the game anyways.

We may do that in the near future though.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:36 am   

Quite right! I see the room description now that I did a 'look'.

The reason I would want an MXP tag for the prompt is because as it stands now I have to use two separate triggers for the prompt. Most of the time the prompt comes at the end of a packet of text and is marked and detectable as a 'prompt' type line. However, say there is a lot of text coming. In this case, the prompt could very well be in the middle of the huge packet of text coming in. In that embedded case a prompt trigger set to detect a 'prompt' type line will miss the prompt. Only a prompt trigger looking for a 'newline' type line will catch it.

When I was reading about the possible MXP tags today, this issue with the prompts immediately came to mind as I could use it to simplify things on my side a bit.
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:38 am   

Sure thing. I will take a look tomorrow. Is should be trivial to add...
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:17 pm   

To the original poster: I'm surprised that using ATCP didn't work for you. That is how I have mapped Achaea in the past.

To Avasyu: Thanks for making these MXP improvements to IRE. I agree that tagging the Prompt would definitely be useful. Many parts of the mapper depend upon good prompt detection, and improved prompt features are on my list for future CMUD versions.

For the next Beta version of CMUD, I have added the code to improve how the RoomNum tag is used. This should help tremendously with the mapper.

Edited: Oh yes, the next Beta version also removed the "kludge" in CMUD that turned off MCCP when ATCP was first enabled.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:15 pm   

Zugg: How will your changes with the room number work in practice?

- Will it start automatically using that number as the vnum for newly created rooms?
- Will it use the room num compared with the vnum (when present) to detect a successful room move?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:47 pm   

Yes, when creating a room it will use RoomNum as the vNum for the room. Then when trying to detect what room it moved into it will compare the RoomNum sent from the MUD with the vNum field in the map database.

So to answer the question that I know you are thinking about: Yes, if you change the vNum fields and you have the new "Use RoomNum as vNum" option selected (which is ON by default), then your map won't work properly. If you renumber your vNum fields, then you will need to turn off this option. The original purpose of the vNum field was to track the actual RoomNum field used by the MUD.
Avasyu
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:19 pm   

We are having a couple problems with doing the prompt tags cleanly, so it will probably be a couple days before they appear.

Sorry!
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:50 am   

Avasyu, don't suppose you can prod the MKO team to add the RDesc tag? :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: