Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Valkenar
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:47 pm   

[CMUDPRO 3.10a] Command line causes crash

I searched for similar bugs and couldn't find any, so apologies if this has been reported.

The command line pretty quickly breaks such that any keystroke causes the application to pop the crash dialog with the message "Access violation" I first noticed this occurred when I wrote some bad lua and got an "attempt to concatenate a nil value" error. After clicking continue application I went back to the main window and the next keystroke resulted in an access violation. Since then I've encountered this many times when working with my settings.

Edit: Forgot to mention
I'm using windows xp pro sp2 with classic theme and cmud also set to classic theme

Somewhat more info: Seems to happen more reliably if I use the execute script option in the context menu for a function that takes one specified argument and causes a nil concatenation error.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:20 pm   

Once you have a nil concatenation error that leads to a memory access violation, then it's pretty much all bets are off since CMUDs memory stack is no longer reliable. I'm not sure if Zugg can do much more to insulate CMUD from this kind of issue, but I'll let him weigh in on the topic.
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:58 pm   

Sounds like you have a messed-up macro somewhere in your settings. Each time you press a key on the keyboard (even in the command line), CMUD is looking at your macro settings to see if there is a matching macro.

So you need to track down exactly which script is causing the original access violation or nil concatenation error and fix that root cause.

Also, if you post the crash dump that you are getting when pressing a key, I might be able to suppress that specific error. But if your macro settings are getting corrupted to cause an error when you press a key, then it's likely that you will just have many other different errors happening.

As with *any* software, once you get an Access Violation error, you should save your work and then exit the program. An Access Violation means that there is a pointer to memory that is no longer reliable, and continuing to run any software after an Access violation can usually cause more and more errors, potentially causing any further changes to your scripts not to be saved. CMUD traps the Access Violation error allowing you to report the error (Submit bug) and then Continue the application so that you can get to a safe area on your MUD before logging off and restarting CMUD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: