Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
6Dragons

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:22 pm   

MSP MUD SOUND PROTOCOL woes

Greetings,

I have been trying to get zmud to work with my wings.wav file.
I am baffled that it works for one skill calling it, but not another
with a copy pasted additonal call.

Mush client does work with it, so I know it is a zmud issue.

In my do_wings command I have...

if( xIS_SET( ch->act, PLR_SOUND ) || xIS_SET( ch->act, PLR_MUSIC ) )
send_to_char( "!!SOUND(sound/wings.wav)\n\r", ch );

All that does for zmud client with wings command is
wings
!!SOUND(sound/wings.wav)

Like the file doesn't exist, but it does, and works perfectly with
my fly home command.

Any ideas what could be causing the hang up with zmud?

Vladaar
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:38 am   

Try using the #PLAY command to manually play the *.WAV file. zMUD can only play uncompressed 8-bit wav files, so maybe one of your sounds is in a unsupported format. CMUD supports all wav file formats along with MP3 format. But not zMUD.
6Dragons

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:38 am   

Well I got it working. It wasn't the compression size, but rather needed Inline MSP checked.
What is the purpose of Inline MSP option? My wings.wav worked for one skill but not
for another until I clicked on that option. Mind boggling.

My files have been 16bit compressed from audiocity software and work fine in wav format.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:46 pm   

Inline MSP allows MSP commands to be sent within a line. Normal/Strict MSP requires the !!SOUND to be at the very beginning of the line, with nothing after the MSP command but a newline. The Inline MSP option is disabled by default because when it is enabled it allows other people on the MUD to trigger sounds via putting MSP commands within their chat messages, which is normally not desirable.

Also, in your code above you have:
Code:
 if( xIS_SET( ch->act, PLR_SOUND ) || xIS_SET( ch->act, PLR_MUSIC ) )
send_to_char( "!!SOUND(sound/wings.wav)\n\r", ch );

the "\n\r" is incorrect for the Telnet Protocol. The Telnet Protocol specifies that the newline is always \r\n (CR LF). So you should also change that if you are in charge of coding on your MUD.

For compatibility with all MUD clients, you should change your MSP code on your MUD to ensure that the MSP command always starts at the beginning of a line with nothing else after it. While MUSHClient and zMUD/CMUD support Inline MSP, it was not part of the original MSP specification, so other MUD clients might not work with it.

Quote:
My files have been 16bit compressed from audiocity software and work fine in wav format.

The code in zMUD that mixes together multiple wav files playing at the same time does not support compressed 16-bit files. So you will only be able to play one sound at a time on most sound cards. Your sound card might be different, but you might have other players out there who can't play your sounds, or who won't be able to have multiple overlapping sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: