Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
jakj
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:14 pm   

[Bug] Mapper Edit Switches To Current Room On Input

When I am trying to drag a room around in the editor, when input come in from the MUD, it screws up and switches my selection to the Current Position room and picks it up and puts it under my cursor, thus requiring me to drag it back. In addition, this has glitched out my map several interesting ways:

One time, I was dragging a selection of 3 rooms when text came in from the MUD. It dropped those three and grabbed the current room where those three were, but it somehow rotated the link lines between them so they were off to one side and not connected to the actual rooms. I had to relink them to fix it.

Another time, I was dragging a room when text came in, except this time there was a down exit in the room I had been moving, and after I got everything moved back in its place, instead of the shaftless arrow pointing down, it's a hollow circle.

Same thing, except this time it stayed a shaftless arrow, except now it's 50% the size of the regular down arrow.

At least this bug is incredibly obvious in terms of what's going on: Text comes into the MUD, and the mapper switches selection.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:38 am   

I'm not sure it is technically a bug. It also may not be relevant with the beta mapper, since it is completely different and especially since it can handle multiple location objects in a single map. I haven't noticed whether it still does that in the 3.08 mapper.

But in any case, as a general rule you need to be extremely careful when trying to manually edit a map while input is coming from the mud. Even if it did not shift focus automatically like that, input from the mud could still mess up the map while you are editing it.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:52 am   

I agree its not a bug, but it is an annoyance.

Would need a way to stop the autofocus on roomMove based on weather or not the Room Properties window has focus...
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:57 am   

Actually, come to think of it, in the 3.08 mapper that would just be a matter of changing what location object you were tracking. You can set it to not track any location object at all.
jakj
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:50 pm   

No, it's much more than this. I'm sitting here with my map editor open trying to read websites while I have lunch, and every time input comes in from the MUD, Windows focuses CMUD (though does not bring it to the foreground), so I keep losing what I'm doing and my keyboard inputs go into the mapper instead of my browser. I was viewing fullscreen images and it happened there too: Didn't even break me out of fullscreen, but it stopped accepting keyboard commands (they went to the mapper) until I clicked on a picture to refocus the fullscreen viewer. This is a serious bug that needs to be fixed.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:37 pm   

This isn't happening for me. It sounds like maybe one of your triggers is doing something that is causing the focus to shift. Try turning off your triggers to see if it still happens. Then you can enable them one-by-one to track down which trigger is causing it and maybe help determine what command in the trigger is causing it.

Also, you should try this in the 3.08 Beta version since the UI of the mapper and how it handles keyboard focus was redone, so it might already be fixed in that version.
jakj
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 pm   

I think I found it.

<trigger priority="40" id="4">
<pattern>^--&gt; TICK &lt;--$</pattern>
<value>#gag
#send {p}</value>
</trigger>

Not an exhaustive test, but I turned off the generation of that tick message and it hasn't happened since (so far). It can't be the #gag line because my chat triggers #gag too, so it has to be the #send. Any idea how that could be causing the program to rip focus away but not bring itself to the front, as well as the mapper issues 1) If I have the Properties box open on a room that is not my current location, the selection changes to current location and the properties box contents switch to that as if I had manually changed selection, 2) if I am dragging rooms that are not the current selection, it drops them (sometimes corrupting the room/exit linkages) and rips the current position from its, well, current position, and sticks it under my cursor (sometimes corrupting it too).

I'll post again if something besides that tick timer trigger fires, but so far it looks like #send.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: