Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
DanaLea73

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:16 pm   

zMud on a Mac

Before anyone cries foul, I read the FAQ and I know he's got no plans to port it.

But...

I have crossover on my Mac, and was wondering if there was any plans or possibilities of getting zMud to work in the Wine that crossover uses. I'm currently using zMud in bootcamp, but the windows keeps dropping my wireless connection and it's seriously annoying. The Mac doesn't have this problem. (but then, at least windows will run zMud).

Anyone have any suggestions?

-dana
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:40 am   

There're some threads about it around - have a search. It's not officially supported, but it's certainly possible.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
DanaLea73

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:43 am   

Thank you. I did the search and looks like I might be able to get an older copy of zMud or maybe cMud, but not the version of zMud that I currently use.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

-dana
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:56 pm   

Quote:
but the windows keeps dropping my wireless connection and it's seriously annoying

I had that same problem with other networking software within Bootcamp (WoW, etc). I searched for weeks on this problem and while I found a lot of other Bootcamp users who had network issues (where the MacOS was fine but Windows was dropping the network), I didn't find any solutions.

Finally, I was able to find the problem and fix it. Here is what I did:

1) Boot the Macbook into Windows via Bootcamp
2) Right-click on "My Computer" and go to Properties, then click the Hardware tab, then click the Device Manager button
3) Expand the "Network adapters" section and find the wireless device, which should be "Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter". Right click on that and select "Properties"
4) Click the Advanced tab to see all of the gory low-level driver properties
5) Find the "Power Save Mode" and make sure it is Disabled
6) Find the "Minimum Power Consumption" and make sure it is Disabled
7) Click the OK button to save the changes
8) Reboot Windows

Apparently the issue is that there is a bug in the Broadcom driver that sometimes will disconnect your wireless connection momentarily when it thinks it needs to save power, EVEN WHEN PLUGGED IN! I always have my MacBook plugged in, so it should never go into Power Save Mode, but it was. I think it's only an issue with the Broadcom driver for Bootcamp, so if you have a different wireless adapter, the settings might be different.

Anyway, give this a try. It really saved my sanity on my MacBook. I was really getting annoyed with all of it's disconnections.

I can't support zMUD, but I know CMUD works fine within Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro here. There might be issues with Wine, but the newer Beta version of CMUD (v3.x) uses fewer Microsoft libraries (such as ADO/MDAC) which can make it easier to use with systems like Wine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: