Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:44 pm   

[3.08] Browsing Zones difficult because it doesn't center on any room

When I use the mapper window to browse around zones it often opens the zone showing no room at all. It will be zoomed off on some odd corner of the map where there is nothing showing. To locate the actual rooms in the zone I need to either plan around the whole zone looking for the rooms or zoom all the way out and try to locate where the rooms are located. This doesn't happen when actually moving because it centers with each movement, but it is horrible to try to browse around otherwise because I can never find the rooms.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:42 pm   

View -> Show Panels -> Nearby. Best solution I have for your problem. Look for the room on the list, then right click and choose 'Center.'

Charneus
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:43 am   Re: [3.08] Browsing Zones difficult because it doesn't center on any room

ReedN wrote:
When I use the mapper window to browse around zones it often opens the zone showing no room at all. It will be zoomed off on some odd corner of the map where there is nothing showing. To locate the actual rooms in the zone I need to either plan around the whole zone looking for the rooms or zoom all the way out and try to locate where the rooms are located. This doesn't happen when actually moving because it centers with each movement, but it is horrible to try to browse around otherwise because I can never find the rooms.

Indeed.. It seems to keep the "view area" from the previous zone..
Slightly related is http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33540, and the way it still moves the map view around when you move in the MUD, even if the mapper doesn't have a valid location for you..
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:26 pm   

Well, what "room" should it be centering on? The mapper can't read your mind...how should it know which room in the entire zone you want to be centered on and which Z level? Right now the mapper centers the view on the current tracking room. If the current room isn't in the current zone being displayed, then it has no idea what else to display. The mapper has always worked like this, even in zMUD.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:33 pm   

Centering on *any* room what-so-ever is better than being zoomed in on completely nothing. If it at least is displaying one room I can pan it rather easily.

When it is centered in on nothing it can take upwards of half a minute to locate any room because I have no idea which direction to pan around to find it.
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:27 pm   

Last room displayed in that zone perhaps?
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:16 pm   

My preference would be:

Best: Exactly the last view that was used the last time the zone was brought up.
Better: Any room in the zone.
Bad: A view of nothing (currently how it is implemented)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: