Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
chelleNYC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:27 pm   

CMUD Pro isn't connecting--Vista Basic--tried the DEP thing and the admin thing

Greetings All!

I am using Vista Basic 32 bit. The trial version of CMUD ran as normal. When the 30 days was up and I downloaded
CMUD Pro 2.37, then purchased a licence one or two days later. I was able to connect to my MUD right after
entering the license.

Suddenly CMUD Pro is not connecting. It tries 20 times until it says it won't auto-connect anymore. I've
checked with other players and one admin and the mud is up and running.

I've read the post regarding DEP and this Vista already has the option "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" already
checked off. So I then chose the other option and added CMUD Pro.exe to the list of programs to allow, restarted
my computer and CMUD still tried to connect 20 times to no avail.

I right-clicked CMUD Pro.exe and chose to "always run it as administrator", restarted my computer and still
nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

love,
chelle
mikeC130
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:54 am   

What MUD are you trying to connect to, and have you tried any other way to connect? It is possible your MUD itself has a problem at the moment, if you haven't changed anything since your last successful connection.

Mike
chelleNYC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:41 pm   

Thank you for replying, Mike! I am trying to connect to astaria3.com port 5000. When I ping, it says 103 ms. ??????

love,
chelle
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:06 pm   

You probably recently installed a firewall program that is blocking CMUD.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:00 am   

let me start by saying, that this situation had me so upset that i quit smoking. i think i grew a grey hair. i only bought cmud pro to play one mud.

so...

THANK YOU TO EVERBODY THAT REPLIED! the situation has been resolved. the admin was giving me the wrong ip address. Why was cmud pro connecting to my mud with an old ip address, i really don't know and i don't care anymore because i can mud now.

love,
chelle
zepharia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:23 pm   

I don't mean to take over someone's post but I'm having the same difficulty. I'm running Vista Home Premium 64 bit and cannot use CMUD to connect to any sort of MUD. The one I've been trying to connect to is Materia Magica. I've tried the DEP and admin thing, even gave CMUD full permissions in my firewall. It still won't find an ip address. I don't know what more to do. Sad
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:18 pm   

Are you able to connect with another client like telnet? Are you able to connect to other MUDs using CMUD? Did you confirm that your firewall is properly configured to access on non-standard ports?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:12 pm   

I am able to connect with telnet. I'm not able to connect with any MUDs whatsoever. I'm not 100% sure that my firewall is properly configured. However, I've even tried disabling it and I still couldn't connect to anything. I'm using Kaspersky Internet Suite. What I do know is that I did reformat this computer a couple days ago so everything on this computer has to be reconfigured.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:46 pm   

You say you are able to connect with telnet, then you say you are not able to connect with any muds whatsoever. I believe Tech was asking whether you are able to connect with any muds through telnet, and it's not clear whether you answered that.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:42 pm   

Go into your Windows Firewall and add CMUDPro to the exception list (or UnBlock list, whatever it's called). Your Kaspersky Internet Suite might have the same settings. With most software like this, you can't actually "disable" it without uninstalling it. They are designed to protect against virus software and cannot usually be easily disabled (otherwise viruses would just disable them). I know when Symantec Internet Security and McAfee Internet Security you have to actually uninstall them to stop them from blocking programs. Uninstalling is a bit drastic, so just go into their configuration and add the CMUDPro application to the allowed list.

You should also open a Command Prompt window and type:
Code:
ping whatever.mudhost.com

where "whatever.mudhost.com" is the host name of the MUD you are trying to connect to. Make sure it is able to find an IP address from there.

Also, the Windows Telnet program only uses 16-bit networking (using the WINSOCK.DLL library). CMUD and other newer network software uses 32-bit networking using the WSOCK32.DLL library. So if your network software is just blocking 32-bit apps, that can also explain the difference.
zepharia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:12 am   

Rahab, I will clarify. I am able to connect via telnet using Materia Magica's Moongate Client. I cannot connect to any MUDs whatsoever using CMUD.

Zugg, I did everything you've mentioned and all packets were lost. Prior to your post, I already added CMUDPro to the exception list for both Windows Firewall and Kaspersky Internet Suite. I still couldn't connect using CMUD. However, I could connect using Materia Magica's Moongate Client on their website.

If my network software is just blocking 32-bit apps, can something be done to actually unblock that?
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:44 am   

First off, I know nothing about Vista or 64 stuff. XP Home SP3 is what I use.

Now then, the Moongate Client is a java applet that requires an active browser to run. This doesn't necessarily mean that you're able to connect using telnet.

To check your telnet capability (at least how it is done on XP Home) select the start button from the taskbar and then select 'RUN...'
This should bring up a dialog box into which you would type 'telnet materiamagica.com 23' and then select the OK button.
If this works, then we know that port 23 is able to be used for telnet traffic.

To check other ports, you could try the same thing but change the 23 to 4000 or 6666 or 8000 or 9000.

If neither of these work then instead of 'telnet materiamagica.com 23' try 'cmd' (OK) and then type 'ping materiamagica.com' and <enter>

Let us know the results.
zepharia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:58 pm   

Well, my computer crashed so I had to reformat the computer as a whole. I haven't installed Kaspersky Internet Suite (mainly because I cannot find it) and everything else is working fine. CMUD connects just fine too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: