Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
adalius
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:40 pm   

Package fails to upload to the library.

I wrote a package, 3k MIP Package, and uploaded it to the library. Another player said when he downloaded it, it was empty. I tried it myself without deleting the package file, just by clicking uninstall, install, and it seemed to come right back so I assumed it was fine. Flash forward a few days to today. I log in, open my settings editor and it throws a access violation. I click on continue, and see that my package file is empty. I click open package, browse, and see it along with it's one backup sitting there. I double click it, the app pukes another access violation error. I click continue program again but it doesn't continue, it bails to desktop. I load Cmud back up, go to open my package, both it and the backup file are gone baby gone. Go online to the package library and download my last upload, it's empty save for the package description.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:57 pm   

CMUD doesn't delete your settings in your package file unless you use something like a #KILLALL command. So my guess is that your settings are still in the package but that they are corrupted somehow. That could also explain the access violation errors. Email your *.pkg file to me at sales@zuggsoft.com so I can take a look at it.

Regarding the upload to library issue, that could also happen if the package was corrupted.

Also, please always mention what version of CMUD you are using and what version of Windows when reporting problems.
adalius
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:05 am   

First off, v3.08, XP SP3 for the OS.

Secondly, it didn't delete the settings *in* the package file, it deleted the whole package file. As in the filename.pkg is not there. At all. Nor is it in my recycle bin or any other logical place. And no, I did not use a #KILLALL, as I didn't even know about that command until you just mentioned it. Yes, this is weird, yes it stresses me out that I lost the whole package.

Luckily, a friend of mine was sent a copy to try out since he was the one who originally told me the one on the Library was empty. I'll email that copy to you.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:26 pm   

I got your package and will look at it later this week.

But something else happened here because CMUD *never* deletes any *.PKG files. *.PKG files are databases and CMUD only interacts with the database via normal SQL commands. There isn't any way for SQL commands to cause the file to be deleted. I have no idea how the file could be missing, but it has to be something that happened outside of CMUD.

The only time CMUD manipulates the file directly is when it renames the *.PKG file to a *_BAK.PKG backup file. If that operation fails in Windows, the original file is left untouched, so even that shouldn't ever cause the file to be deleted.
adalius
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:40 pm   

Right, I wouldn't expect CMud to go around deleting things willy nilly either. I ran a chkdsk and no errors were found, ran my usual admin tools to see if there was anything else amiss, but there wasn't. It's just freaky weird. I'm wondering if it had anything to do with it throwing an access violation, maybe it did it when it was in the process of copying to a bak and Windows freaked out and deleted it? It would go against conventional logic, but, then again, most Microsoft software goes against conventional logic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: