Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
kinnoinen
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:58 pm   

[2.37] Error in floating point value

Sometimes CMUD stops handling floating point values and produces an error every time you try to use one with a command. When this happens I can even test it from the command line by typing "#say 0.5" or "#send I'm 28.67 years old.". "tell zugg 1.5" works tho.

A new window appears with text: Error parsing command: error in floating point value

Triggers or aliases that have a command which tries to use them stop working. As far as I know the only thing that fixes it is restarting CMUD. I don't know what is causing this, seems to happen pretty random. This time I noticed it when trying to make:

#alarm +0.5 {#T- SomeClass}

But it can happen on its own when I'm not doing anything, I just suddenly notice some triggers aren't working anymore. I sent a bug report about it too this time.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:40 pm   

I'm not sure if this is a factor, but have you tried changing this code to match the documentation? Like this:
Code:
#alarm {+0.5} {#T- SomeClass}

I've never seen the problem you describe but I'll keep an eye out.
kinnoinen
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:10 pm   

Rahab wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a factor, but have you tried changing this code to match the documentation? Like this:
Code:

Well no I haven't tried, but it seems to create the alarm identically both ways.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:29 pm   

I've never seen anything like this, nor have I ever gotten a report from any other user like this. Without a way to reproduce this, it's going to be nearly impossible to find the problem and fix it. It must be related to some script that you are running, but unless you are able to reproduce the error, it will be very difficult to determine what script is causing the problem.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:40 pm   

I replied to your error report too, but thought I'd also post it here:

I notice that you are using a computer in Finnish. It might be a problem with your floating point format in Windows. Does Finnish use a period "." as the decimal point or does it use a comma ","? I think CMUD always requires a "." character, but there might be some case where it is trying to convert a number using your Windows floating point format character that could cause this problem. Could that be it?
kinnoinen
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:15 pm   

Zugg wrote:
I replied to your error report too, but thought I'd also post it here:

I notice that you are using a computer in Finnish. It might be a problem with your floating point format in Windows. Does Finnish use a period "." as the decimal point or does it use a comma ","? I think CMUD always requires a "." character, but there might be some case where it is trying to convert a number using your Windows floating point format character that could cause this problem. Could that be it?

Yes Finnish uses "," as a decimal point. I thought about this too. I guess I could change the Windows setting for decimal point to ".". Thanks.
kinnoinen
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:11 am   

kinnoinen wrote:
Rahab wrote:
Code:

Well no I haven't tried, but it seems to create the alarm identically both ways.

Actually... that syntax doesn't work when using local variables.

Code:
#local $delay
$delay=2
#alarm {+$delay} {#say test}

This creates an alarm that has a pattern of "+$delay" instead of "+2" and never fires.

Code:
#local $delay
$delay=2
#alarm +$delay {#say test}

This works tho.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:10 pm   

Yes, that would not work with local variables. You hadn't mentioned using local variables. I didn't really think it was the problem, and was pretty sure it would work either way, but it was the only possible issue I could see in the syntax.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: