Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Minthur
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:36 am   

Combining Maps

I also multi-play and have tried creating a package for my maps to share across sessions. Unless I am doing it wrong though there is still only one shared .dbm file. And every time I try to have two sessions open using this pkg and they are mapping either, one or the other, I get exception errors and a corrupted dbm file (good thing I've learned long ago to make a backup with beta testing). So. in another post somewhere else I explained that instead of a shared package I just copy the most current dbm file from one of my characters move it to the new char dir and rename it for that char. And of course that works.

Now here is the big question. Since now I have four characters and each start in different zones, I would like to include those zones across the sessions. In zMud there was a 3rd party app to copy zones into another map file. IS there plans for exporting zones to an xml format in order to be imported across sessions. Or does anyone know if this can or has already be done?

I put this post here because I am using Cmud Pro 3.06 I hope it is ok here. Cool
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:15 pm   

Any export/import features would be part of a new version of zMapper (cMapper) which is planned, but pretty low on the priority list right now. The old program for zMUD only worked with the old *.MDB files.

Can you give me more details on the problem you had with trying to use a shared map package? I haven't been able to get this to fail when mapping with more that one character and a shared map, so I'd like to find a way to reproduce your problem and get it fixed. Then you wouldn't need to try and merge multiple maps. So if you can post a procedure for reproducing the crash and corrupted dbm file, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
wrym
Magician

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:04 pm   

In order to keep from having to-remap or wait until Zugg adds these export/import functions, you might be able to use SQLite Administrator on a BACKUP set of your maps.

The DATA menu offers export and import functions, to CSV, XLS and a few other formats. Might take a little to get figured out, but might be lot less work than re-mapping.
"To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories: (1) things that need to be fixed, and (2) things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them" - Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle
Minthur
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:00 pm   

I will definitely try to reproduce the problem again. I have a hunch though that it may be caused when relocating a bunch or all the rooms from one zone to another. But this is just a hunch. As far as the errors I am pretty sure that I used the automatic error reporting and had them emailed when they happened. But I will surely try again.

Thanks Zugg!
Minthur
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:01 pm   

Wrym that is a good idea! Let me look into that.

Thank you for the idea. I'll repost if it worked
Minthur
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:31 am   

OK Wrym I looked into doing that. As long as you change the file ext to .db edit the file then change it back to .dbm you can do it. However I tried several free SQLite Administrator apps and all of them required that I manually edit each and every field individually. No copy entire row like in excel *pout* was a real pain just to add a new zone and 3 rooms. I gave up after 4 apps of trying to edit it like this.
Guess this one needs a real coder to write a plug-in or feature to do it.
Guess I'll wait on Zugg. Laughing
Minthur
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:45 am   

Zugg, can you change my passsword to id10t cause that's what I feel like now! The exception errors were actually SQL errors and the files only got corrupted if I selected the (continue) option on the error screen. You ready for what the problem was caused by.........ME go figure!

As I said I multi-play I have 3 instances of Cmud open (not individual sessions) this way if I have a prob with one session I can just close that instance of Cmud. So anyhow, I was multi-playing using the same dbm file for all 3. So when I had the map on and I was exploring I have triggers set up to use the #MAP feature when I am following someone (or in this case myself) so if the leader dies I am not totally lost (this never happens *RIGHT*). Well DUH I cannot have all three char trying to edit the same mdb file at the same time. SQL kinda doesn't like that Wink hehe.

Perhaps you can make a notification box pop up warning users not to be doofy like me Laughing
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:23 pm   

I swear, the continue button needs removing from that dialogue or something. It only ever seems to cause problems. You should NEVER press continue unless you're CERTAIN that the error won't cause problems - exceptions usually happen because something screwy is going on in memory, which could lead to CMUD doing all kinds of crazy things. That's why the other button is there, because the safest option is to simply close CMUD - you'll notice that most other apps just die and give you an error, but don't let you continue :P

And yes, having three programs trying to edit the same file at once will give you a headache :P

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: