Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
mazer327

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:05 pm   

Able To Change Colors While In VI? - Xterm

Hi, this is a question, not a bug. If I am not posting this in the correct section, please forgive me!

I was going through my code using cMUD and I am used to the colors Putty used for things.

Was trying to get things like comments to be blue instead of navy, and stuff in quotes to be red instead of maroon, for example. (Always find it hard to read the darker color stuff)

I went through the styles, and tried changing a few just to see if I could find a setting for it. Maybe I missed it, but didn't see one there for this.

Is it there, and I am just not seeing it? If not, would it be possible to add this to a list of suggestions for future updates?

Thanks again,
Mazer

Edit 1: Did find a bug associated with this that I thought I would tell you about. When you start editing a line that is colored, sometimes it will start picking random colors to assign to the new text. IE - I edited something inside double quotes - currently set to magenta - and it would turn light grey, yellow, magenta, etc, seemingly randomly.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:42 pm   

Are you talking about the colors that show up in the Package Editor, identifying variables, delimiters, commands, etc.? That can be modified. In the main window, click on Options|Colors. In the Preferences window, open the "folder" labeled zScript. The styles used for the syntax coloring are there.

[Edit] Nevermind. I just realized you aren't talking about the package editor. Embarassed
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:08 pm   

Technically speaking you can, if you use CMUD trigger functionality to build a syntax highlighter for you. It may be a bit too complex to make it worthwhile though.
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:02 pm   

I would think a few regex triggers with #cw would get a basic, yet functional hilighter, nested quotes, brackets, parentesses might get a few wierd results but....

I think something like this would get you a start

Code:
#regex "comments" "^//" {#color blue}
#regex highlight_singleq "\'(.+)\'" {#cw red}
#regex highlight_doubleq '\"(.+)\"' {#cw crimson}
#regex highlight "\[(.+)\]" {#cw green}

might also want to try "[([^]]+)]" type regex pattern.

It might further be possible to embed or use an open source highlighting script, google code as a javascript one aimed at webpages/blogs. If nothing else may beable to find some nice regex'es that could be used with a trigger, %regex %color and a recursive function of sorts.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:27 am   

If you are using the 256-color xterm mode (which is what I think VI uses for it's syntax coloring), then currently there is no user interface within CMUD to change those 256 colors. They are all set at the xterm standard. However, CMUD 3.05 does support the xterm codes for *changing* those colors if you can find a linux script that handles that. CMUD 3.05 doesn't currently store the custom 256 colors with your session, so you'd need to run a color-setting script on your linux box whenever you logged in.

Support for changing the 256 colors and for storing those colors in your session are planned for the future. The xterm 256-color mode is brand new in the 3.05 version, so it hasn't gotten a lot of use yet.

Finally, if you find a file that shows any color bugs in VI when editing, try to email me the file with the instructions for trying it on my own linux box to see if I can reproduce the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: