Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
tarrant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:00 am   

cmud colours

hi i just got cmud and im sick of the green words.
I've seen on some clients people have changed the colours of different sentences to be more easily distinguishable

for example: blue room name
green room descrip.
yellow items
purple mobs
red bad other characters
etc.

how do i do this within cmud?
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:51 am   

Well to start you probably want to use #COLOR, #CW, #PCOL and #HIGHLIGHT. As you get more advanced you may want to enable MXP and start using the tags, in combination with #SHOW, #PRINT, #TRIGGER and #MXP.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:59 pm   

Also make sure you've got ansi turned on in your game. This could be as simple as typing ANSI or COLOR or COLOUR (depending on whether your coders followed the American spelling or the British) and hitting enter.

If you're not seeing any color other than the base green on anything at all, color most likely isn't enabled.
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:43 am   

These are colour names I liked looking for contrast and subtlety with green and chartreuse fonts. Maybe you will like one of these colours.

Darksalmon works well on a mud sent cyan highlight
Khaki
Darkkhaki
Darkgray
Wheat
Olive is good for the exits
Tomato is perfect
Orange is good
Burlywood is great
Palevioletred is super great
Gray is a super alert
Gold is alerting
Crimson is alerting
Chocolate
Goldenrod
Sienna
Darkgoldenrod
Peru
Orchid
Darkorange

These are the colour names of some greens (most are not usable, imo):

Darkgreen
Greenyellow
Olivedrab is like greyed to the default green
Mediumseagreen is very close
Chartreuse is the highlight color
Seagreen near but off
Lime same
Forestgreen
Yellowgreen
Green is the default green
Darkseagreen on mud sent cyan?

(I like putting 'u' in words sometimes, particularly armour.)

I also have groups of colours but don't want to be pushy, also I did these in ZMud if that matters
Ghedemonas
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:32 pm   

You might be interested in the following script ...

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33120&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:02 pm   

You may also want to check out the ColorWheel script that's in the package library. It's had several authors and updaters but I think Fang Xianfu add the last version.
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:00 pm   

I have used Colour Wheel, it's nice to have the colors compacted like that on the screen. Oddly, color perception on computers (TV pixels even) is something of a trick, so what you use is what you get depending on the surrounding environment. Colors in the Colour Wheel are all mitigated by their neighbor into new colors. This is especially true when using a line background. In any case, Colour Wheel is really useful as a reference to me, yet more or less true based on conditions.

I also wrote a utility for working colored lines together and put that in the Library 'Informational' as SideBySide Color. Back when I was using green text I ran my script with a split screen to get 'compliments' for the actual Mud text conditions. You can input color names to the script, or 'set' colors that are displayed randomly.

In the world, the best garden designers employ color to display at viewing times to effect (or just considering) the sun's color spectrum. On computers I can't escape the tone set by color either. I had read there is a subtle emotional content in color. I found a contrast best for the dire alerts, while compliments were good for mundane things.

I first became interested in computers when I saw Windows 3.1 balloons. I wonder if that BMP is around somewhere. I adore it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: