Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
zoom-ping

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:23 am   

Regex help wanted

Hello.

I'm having problems getting a value using a regex pattern.
The pattern I wrote looks like this:
Code:
^\s+-\s([(]G|R|H|I|W|T|Angry[)]\s?)*?(.*?)$

And I'm trying to match something like this:
Code:
     - (T)(G)(W) A benevolent priestess

It seems to make the match, but using %2 I get the whole thing including the (X) flags.
Can someone please tell me what am I doing wrong?
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:21 pm   

Code:
^\s+- (Angry\[|\]|[\(GRHIWT\)])*? ?(.*?)$

zoom-ping

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:18 pm   

Works as good as my trigger. Still get the mob name with flags included. I'm not good with regexp and I don't understand the necessity to add \ to | and T. Can you comment your solution a bit? Just to be clear, here are the flags I want to ignore: (I)(H)(G)(R)(D)(X)(T)(W)(Angry).
calesta
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:13 pm   

The \ applies to the character after it, not before it. In a regex, the [] indicate a character class and the () indicate a grouping, so they have to be escaped in order to match them literally.

I believe the reason it doesn't work is that the part intended to match the flags is non-greedy (due to the ? after the first *). This combined with the fact that the regex ends with .* guarantees that the flags portion at the beginning will never consume anything. If you remove the ? after that first *, Vijilante's regex should work fine as long as (Angry) isn't in the flags, looks like he expected a different format for that or something.

I think you may have intended that ? after the flags part to mean that there can be no flags instead of a non-greedy match though, so I combined the two to come up with this one that seems to work for all the cases I tried. I'm no expert on whether its the most efficient regex or not though. Note the match is in %1 instead of %2 since I assumed you're just discarding the flags:
Code:
^\s+-\s(?:(?:(?:Angry|[()IHGRDXTW])\s?)*\s)?(.*)$
zoom-ping

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:45 am   

Thanks for the help. My friend pointed out the same error. I removed the '?'and tweaked it for larger number of flags that I potentially missed and it works fine now. Here's how it looks like now:
Code:
^\s+-\s([(][A-Za-z]+[)])* ?(.*?)$

Now I have another question: Is it possible to expand vars in regex like in zmud trigger patterns?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: