Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next
Kanan
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:43 am   

Crossover with Cmud

Hello all,

I am a long time Zmud user that quit using Zmud some time back. I recently decided to take a foray in to MUDs again and tried to install Cmud with crossover on my Macbook Pro. Unfortunately, during the install I get an Access Violation error. I clicked OK and tried to launch Cmud anyhow and I also got an Access Violation.

Is this a known issue with Cmud and Crossover? Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance!
Kanan
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:59 am   

If it makes it any easier to identify the problem, it occurs when Cmud is called with /REGSERVER. I have tested this with both CmudPro and CmudProBeta... same results.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:17 am   

Sounds like the copy protection isn't getting handled properly. Is Crossover an emulator? If so, then it's probably an incompability with the emulator. You can email the Crossover people and ask them how to run software that is protected with Armadillo (also known as Software Password from Digital River). This is a very commonly used copy protection system, so they might have an answer.

For running CMUD on my Macbook Pro, I use BootCamp with a real copy of Windows XP installed in a separate partition and then use VMWare Fusion to run CMUD in a window within OSX. That method works great and it much more recommended than using emulator software.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:18 am   

Crossover is a commercial version of Wine. Kanan you should try latest Wine instead. I have cMUD running on Fedora Linux using it. Though it isn't exactly what I would call a really good experience. It does run though.
Kanan
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:03 pm   

Well, Crossover is the only one I have working on my Mac right now. Zugg, my MBP is an older one and running a windows image all the time is tough on my system, which is why I was hoping I could get Crossover to work. Again, the only issue I saw is it would always fail when doing /REGSERVER. Is there something I was forgetting to install first? I was using a winxp "bottle".
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:21 pm   

I have done some more testing on this. cMUD does not work on CrossoverPro Linux 7.1.0. However it does seem to work on Crossover-games Linux 7.1.2.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:01 pm   

It's not just the /REGSERVER that is failing. That just runs CMUD and adds the CMUD COM API to the Windows Registry. But the act of running CMUD triggers the copy protection system, and I think that is what is failing.

The /REGSERVER step is actually optional. If this fails, then it just means that you won't be able to call the CMUD COM interface from external programs. So you can safely ignore this problem. However, my guess is that when you try to run CMUD even without the /REGSERVER, you will have the same crash.
Kanan
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:53 am   

You are correct, it crashes when it is run without the /REGSERVER. As much as I like Cmud, I must say I'm disappointed it won't run under Wine/CrossOver, at least not on OSX. Having to boot an entirely separate OS in Fusion just so I can use a client, ugh...
Troublemag
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:40 am   

I don't mean to sound snippy, but it's difficult for me to understand you being upset that a program written exclusively for Windows doesn't want to work out of the box on an emulator. Would you expect Blu-Ray discs to play on your 5-year old DVD player?

Rorso has left some suggestions based on what he's tested. Have you tried any of those yet?
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:46 pm   

There is a large difference between being disappointed and being upset. I am disappointed that a client I happen to like and have used for many, many years now relies on tools and libraries (as I understand it) that do not operate in an environment meant to allow windows programs to run on other platforms. If Cmud were to operate well under wine or crossover, it would allow the client to be used by a larger number of people -- believe it or not, there are a large number of people that hate running windows just so they can run a client. I happen to be one of those people and yes, that is my personal choice, I know.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:12 pm   

Kanan wrote:
There is a large difference between being disappointed and being upset. I am disappointed that a client I happen to like and have used for many, many years now relies on tools and libraries (as I understand it) that do not operate in an environment meant to allow windows programs to run on other platforms.

You might be able to run cMUD on latest Crossover Games. It actually worked better on Crossover Games for me on Linux than with Wine. So the latest versions of Wine might have slight problems with cMUD currently. Though in both the application does seem to run.

Quote:

If Cmud were to operate well under wine or crossover, it would allow the client to be used by a larger number of people -- believe it or not, there are a large number of people that hate running windows just so they can run a client. I happen to be one of those people and yes, that is my personal choice, I know.

I agree with this. It is annoying software is so tied to specific operating systems. I think it might be difficult for Zugg to aim to support Wine properly. It would mean he would have to test the application on different versions of Wine as well as different operating systems. To improve how the application run would mean doing workarounds and as Delphi is a high level programming language it means he might be blocked at modifying the low level stuff.

Also I think the user base for Windows is estimated to be so much larger than Linux/Mac so that might also be why Zugg hasn't prioritized a more compatible version.
Kanan
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:16 am   

Odd, the latest CrossOver for Games did not work for me on OSX. I really had my hopes up, but it failed identically to CrossOver. Rorso, if you are using this on Linux, what did you install in the bottle you were installing Cmud in? Did you use the latest stable version of Cmud or the BETA?

Thanks!
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:20 am   

I used the beta version, and I did not install anything extra to the bottle.
Kanan
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:22 pm   

Well, I just tried the latest beta version of Crossover for Games and I now get an invalid floating point operation in CMud.exe. Improvement over the Access Violation, but the same end result I believe.
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:50 pm   

I've failed to get it working on the latest crossover as well (on ubuntu). Access violation error. Might be worth that email Zugg suggested - Crossover are unlikely to care too much about one mud client not working, but the copy protection system that gets used for all sorts of software might be worth their time.

If you get it working, please post anything you've learned. CMUD is the only thing stopping me from using Ubuntu exclusively, and windows is a pain on this laptop (I can't find the right drivers, heh)
Kanan
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:07 pm   

Caled, try the latest CrossOver for Games BETA on Ubuntu once, see if that works.
oya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:02 am   

I'm also incredibly interested in this. Since my laptop went down I've been hoping to get either Z or C working on my Linux box, but I get the access violation error on both when running from Crossover. This is with the bottles set to both XP and Vista. Only Cmud gives me an error while installing, but neither will run.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:50 pm   

The CMUD installer actually tries to run CMUD to set up the COM registry entries. So the error in the installer is the same as the error when trying to run it. And the error is caused by something in the Armadillo copy protection system that it doesn't like for some reason. The issue with this might be because I'm not using the latest version of Armadillo, but I haven't seen anything in their release notes that would indicate any sort of change/fix to this situation. I also cannot currently afford to upgrade my copy of Armadillo...ever since they were bought by Digital River, their prices have gotten rather outrageous, even for upgrading.

I think it's still worthwhile to ask the Crossover people about their Armadillo support. It's used by a lot of software so I'd think that they would want Crossover to work with it.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:50 pm   

oya wrote:
I'm also incredibly interested in this. Since my laptop went down I've been hoping to get either Z or C working on my Linux box, but I get the access violation error on both when running from Crossover. This is with the bottles set to both XP and Vista. Only Cmud gives me an error while installing, but neither will run.

What distribution, kernel version, and version of Crossover do you use? Also have you tried using Wine and if you have then what version?

Edit: cMUD Beta seems to work on Ubuntu with Wine 1.01.
oya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:09 am   

Zugg:
I'll post if I get something back from Codeweavers about Armadillo.

Rorso:
Wine 1.0
Crossover 7.0.2
Cmud 2.37

I guess my other post got eaten. Forum doesn't like me using quote boxes for some odd reason.
Kanan
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:28 pm   

I got something back from Codeweavers about Armadillo. To quote:

Quote:
Yes, CrossOver does have issues with Copywrite protection software. Yes, we are working with several developers who specialize in this software (and several other game development companies who use this software) to allow CrossOver legal access to the applications. So far, one company has made a couple of changes in their software that have allowed us access to the applications they protect. Unfortunately, its not Silicon Realms (developers of Armadillo). Please note that this really isn't anything we can 'work' on to expedite the process. Any action we take to force support without the developers support can (and would be) considered a 'hack' which comes with enough legal ramifications to choke a horse.

So it appears we are SOL at this point. :(
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:07 am   

Kanan wrote:

So it appears we are SOL at this point. :(

It does run for me using both Wine and Crossover Games though. Maybe something changed between "Wine 1.0" and "Wine 1.0.1". Oya wrote that he used Crossover 7.0.2 but that is not the latest version. cMUD does not run on for example the current release of "Crossover Pro" but does work on latest "Crossover Games".
Kanan
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:26 am   

This might be true under Linux, but it does not appear to be true under OSX.
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:30 am   

I tried this with the latest crossover games (7.2.0) trial, and the latest CMUD beta 3.05.

Without changing any setting in crossover games, CMUD installed without a problem. The previous errors I've had trying this did not occur.

However, when I chose "Aetolia" from the session window, I got a new error. It told me that the first package it tried to load (one of the direction packages) was an invalid SQlite database. When I tried to close CMUD afterwards, there was an access violation error telling me that the SQlite drivers were missing.

The problem and solution seem obvious: I need to install, using crossover, some more windows files (dlls?) that CMUD uses to read its packages. I'm not sure what this might be though, nor where to get them. If anyone has any hints, please let me know. I'm pretty excited that I got the install this far; windows has started to annoy me again in the last few weeks.
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:37 am   

Update: All I had to do was remove those packages from the list of packages to be loaded with the session, and it connected to the mud. I was then able to recreate those packages by hand, and now it all seems to load up fine.

In other words: success! Woo!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: