Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Progonoi Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:35 pm
[OT] PVP Muds and RP.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:03 am   

Well, clearly someone who wrote code and never received any compensation has a legal issue, whether it's not receiving contractually-stipulated money or people breaking the terms of use of that code. If a company's doing something illegal in that way, that's obviously a bad thing.

But I don't think it's fair to tar all those companies with the same brush. The guy who wrote IRE's backend system, for example, was rewarded (quite handsomely, I'd imagine) with a share of the company. I've talked to coders who're in a similar situation and have profit-sharing agreements. If the original author of whatever wants to be recompensed, they need to demand it from people who want to use their work, and protect the work they do from people who use it without permission.

And as for MUDs being hobbies - when these people chose to quit their jobs and then to remortgage their houses and sell their cars to rent office space and buy servers and pay coders, it stopped being a hobby for them. I have nothing but respect for someone who decides to take that step and succeeds doing it.

I really don't understand why people begrudge so much MUDs that charge, whether monthly or with a different model. They're just trying to make some money, and clearly if they succeed, there was money to be made. It's not as if they force you to play their games and then force you to give them money when you do. If they're doing something illegal, then that's a different matter - but most don't. If you disagree with the idea of paying $480 for a sword, the solution is simply not to, just like I decline to pay $500 for a pair of jeans but I don't have a problem the people who make them or who do choose to buy them.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
gamma_ray
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:36 am   

seamer wrote:
Charging money for something that deep down is a hobby for everyone involved just grates upon my nerves. :) Even when a mud has hundreds of users, bandwidth isn't exactly critical. If you're on a good link, you can easily host 100+ people off a regular at&t dsl line.

After spending at least a decade working on various systems, even 'paid' services get their code from somewhere free, and some use code from a license where getting paid for those services is against the agreement. Why should they upsell that code and make a profit while the original author gets zip?

No...if you want to pay for a game, pay for something intensive like WoW. Leave text games as free, and in our case - opensource. :)

I don't really know where you're coming from here, but pure bandwidth may not be important, but reliable hosting is--people don't pay for games that go down every time there's a thunderstorm near your house.

Again, if there are IRE-style games out there for them to have reused code from (besides Avalon, which is pay-to-play), where are they? (On a side note, it's one thing if the license prohibits commercial reuse. But if you released under a license that allows commercial reuse, you should expect it to happen and maybe be more careful next time.)

MUDs may not be as technically difficult to create, but they can still be seriously intense for the player, and worthwhile to spend money and free time on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: